Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Listening for uniqueness and overall appeal not just sound.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Generally, I care way more about the music than the image and personality, but in some cases a unique personality is needed to make music special. I've been thinking about that in the area of the blues lately. Few blues artists these days have the big, often weird personalities of the legends such as Muddy Waters, BB King, Howlin' Wolf, and most modern blues is relatively bland as a result. Of course, those guys put their strong personalities into the music and they weren't trying to appeal to a focus group of pubescent girls. Same with Prince, you didn't need to see a picture of him to hear in the music that he was a unique personality.

True but I have to add that the benefits of personality is like good smelling food.
    I would have loved Empire Of The Sun regardless of the way they dress or performed and as I stated, I heard the song Walking On A Dream in a Toyota commercial. When I saw who the artist were, it made me love the song more because I felt they were a unique duo.

You make a very important point, I often think that some genre suffer from the lack of exposure, think about Elvis or Hendrix how these guys drew people in.

Born in Liberia, I would have never listen to Rock & Roll if it was not for Elvis. The personality pulled you in.
    If you stand for nothing your life becomes meaningless. The world and everything you have today exist because people before you stood up, worked hard and died to provide us all the opportunity. Get involved!

Audio Icon

Comment

I just listened to "Walking On A Dream" by Empire of the Sun on YouTube. The video was colorful to say the least. The first thing I noticed was that damn "repeat a chord sequence ad nauseam" 4 chord thing that is currently fashionable. I hear little musical invention. Lyrics are secondary for me - I often pay little attention to them, focusing on the music. A weakness of mine.

I've said before (and I'll say it again) that musicians who ONLY expose themselves to this music, will continue to believe that Mr. X stole such and such chord progression from Mr. Y , because they've never hear the chord progression anyplace else. The Beatles made plenty of simple music - but out of artistic/aesthetic choice - not because they didn't know how to do anything else.

I obviously wasn't made for these times, pop musically speaking. A friend recently emailed me a JayZ video, because of the sampling of Nina Simone's music. Maybe great social commentary. But distorting Nina Simone's music to the point of non-recognizability ? I don't see or hear it. Without a video to point it out, would her sampled music make any point ?

A writer once said "music begins to atrophy when it departs too far from the dance".

But I digress.

WARNING: CONSTANT USE OF "N" WORD.

https://soundcloud.com/david-goethe/tracks

Dave's ,YouTube channel

Comment

so youre telling me ive wasted my time putting on all this make up???

you really do love me just for my mf sparkling personality!!!
        my p0asting days were numb bird... now im done... bye.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltan View Post
          so youre telling me ive wasted my time putting on all this make up???

you really do love me just for my mf sparkling personality!!!
          That...and your general Gongishness.

http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Working...
          X