MP3 Patents Officially Expired?

Anderton

• Members

From Wikipedia, whose page was just updated yesterday:

If only the known MP3 patents filed by December 1992 are considered, then MP3 decoding has been patent-free in the US since 22 September 2015 when U.S. Patent 5,812,672 expired which had a PCT filing in October 1992.[70][71][72] If the longest-running patent mentioned in the aforementioned references is taken as a measure, then the MP3 technology became patent-free in the United States on 16 April 2017 when U.S. Patent 6,009,399, held by[73] and administered by Technicolor,[74] expired.

If that really is the case, a lot of companies are going to save money on paying licensing fees...

• Members

First of all, stevewaits...welcome to the forum!

I wonder if MP3 will become more ubiquitous because of this, or whether with increased streaming bandwidth and bigger hard drives, people are just going to move over to FLAC for being lossless. I know Apple has a lossless AAC compression algorithm too...I assume they ilcense it, but FLAC is open-source and royalty-free. Windows has already de facto ditched WMA in favor of making FLAC the audio of choice for Windows 10.

Archived