Maybe I'll buy a 1974 Les Paul Custom Reissue but questions for Craig who has a desk next to the Les Paul sanding machine in the factory

• Members

I've been steadily spiraling myself into a LP Custom mood. The last brand new LP Custom I bought (my sixth or so) was a 1974 20th anniversary edition. At the time, I had a white front/black back one of those along with an older black LP custom from 72 or so. And Deluxes and Standards. My original 74 is way shinier than the Gibson reissue pics. Does the reissue guitar indeed look so "satiny"? There are no stores in LA I find have one. Satin would be way wrong. Midway between satin and gloss would also be weird to me. I'm going to get another black one.

Also, hey Craig, please ask Henry's fur expert to define "pink fur". The case pics on the Gibson site and retailers clearly show the inside of the reissue case looking like my currrent LP cases.... purple fur inside. As Purple Rain as any Prince wannabe could conjur up. But the Gibson spec page say's Pink fur. What's up with that?

I'm trying to figure out what would be un-Norlinlike on this guitar. I never had particular gripes about my 1974 LP, but it certainly seems to be somewhat looked-down upon now.

I'm used to Customs that weigh a lot. Which apparently the reissue does. I just don't know if I could get used to a weight relieved model. One of the reasons I've not seriously looked at the more current crop.

As a total aside, I sent an email to Gibson a couple of weeks ago from one of the generic contact links, asking if I can order a black LP Custom with a gold b7 Bigsby already installed. To save me the time of doing it. I received a very nice note saying "we might be able to to do that so ask your dealer". Which in my case would be Uncle Chuck. However, I get the vibe of the email. ie:, an installed Bigsby would probably add $1500 to the price :). So, I'll do that myself, probably also trying out one of those nifty looking vibramate things so I don't have to drill a top screw (not to mention exposing the knurled holes where the stop tailpiece would normally sit.

Mostly, I'm just rambling here. A dysfunctional dance I do just before buying a totally un-needed new guitar. Is it hard to type reviews next to a sanding machine?

• Members

Regarding the finish, here's the deal - straight from one of the top support people:

"The reissues come two ways: VOS and GLOSS. The VOS finish is supposed to look like a mint condition 50 year old guitar, hence a duller look to the finish – not satin. (The actual VOS process is proprietary information.) The hardware on these is also oxidized, like a 50 year old guitar’s would be. The gloss finish is a brand new looking instrument, both the high gloss and the hardware are very clean."

Archived