Spotify Abandoning Support for Windows Phone

Anderton

• Members

I suspect this thread won't get much traction because of all the people who are thinking "There's a Windows phone?" but it does look like it's going the way of the Blackberry. Too bad...Windows 10 works across desktop, tablet, and phone, but without a phone that's less of an advantage. Meanwhile Apple is still doing OS X vs. iOS and their phones continue to do well.

Where will it all end up? Who knows...

I've received some notices that my OS isn't going to be supported in the not too distant future... but those were on a MacBook that is running OS X 10.6. Still, it sux because I like to use that computer strictly as a music-playback machine - a home stereo of sorts - and it's running the latest OS it is capable of using already. It will loose that functionality if I can't use Spotify with it anymore. :(

• Members

I've never used Spotify, but apparently my new album is on it:

(I think this is related to the Harry Fox compulsory license mailings I've been getting - the licensee was Spotify)

https://play.spotify.com/artist/0G8C...tm_medium=open

To tell the truth, I almost never use streaming services to listen to music. I don't have time to be tweaking around picking music. I just select my \mp3s folder, hit 'play' and it queues up several thousand hours of music for me, with no internet needed. Guess I'm a Luddite or something maybe...

• CMS Author

Wait a minute! Does that mean that Microsoft is abandoning the Windows phone? That wouldn't be surprising, but what's surprising is that you heard it first from Spotify. Seems like as long as Windows supports Spotify, Windows phones would support Spotify, as least as long as Spotify doesn't change so it won't run under Windows 10 or 8 or whatever the Windows phone is running when it gets to the end of its support life.

I've found that my Android phone, which is at end-of-life as far as operating systems goes, won't support many new apps, including updates of apps that I'm currently using. And the buggers who give us the app updates make sure that their end very soon won't support older versions of the app.

But (I just looked) apparently Spotify Music will run on my obsolete though current Android 4.1.2 phone. Go figure.

• Members

I saw a lot of Nokia Windows phones in Vietnam and India when I was there. They were a distant but respectable third-place to Android and Apple. I liked the idea of a Windows phone being cross-platformed with PC's and tablets. Plus top end models had an incredible 41 megapixel camera. I haven't seen any Windows phones since I've been back in the states.

Archived