"The Bounce"

• Members

Some bands have songs with it. Many, most even, don't. You feel it when you hear it.

Do you know what I'm talking about?

What is it? A bit of swing, space, syncopation, riffs and hooks in the songwriting that have it ingrained...what?

What isn't it? All drive, no air. Metal :) You know it when it isn't there... you don't exactly want to dance. What?

A couple that do- very obscure, laughably cheesy, but they got it...

[video=youtube;tqUlTq0ufHo]

[video=youtube;3VldykiOXsA]

What is it? What ain't? Examples?

It can be elusive :)

• Members

Boogaloo was ALL about The Bounce.

[video=youtube;LO_AqkSwgjM]

Pata Pata too. Too easy!

[video=youtube;Zq5S5sH1Ikk]

It's more subtle when the pulse, for whatever reason (inexpertise?), drifts in and slightly out of The Bounce...

[video=youtube;EO_pOYfsJk4]

• Members

It's just swing to me. Up or down. There's two kinds of ups and downs involved.

Rhythmic ups and downs - simply ons or offs the pulse and melodic ups and downs; the high notes and the low notes.

The rest is rhythm theory which I get but it's too much arithmetic for this. Add vernacular time shifting rinse repeat.

Here's a metal example. [not embedded due to aesthetic concerns]

• Members

Vernacular time shifting! You've got to explain that one :)

No bounce:

[video=youtube;9olp2oGX6cw]

Bounce!

[video=youtube;IP8G4clUJBY]

Sure it's just swing. I'm fascinated though, by that feel in a non-jazz mode, where the same genre can have "it" or not, or almost... and what the components are that make it up. Vocal phrasing, space, accent on the one, especially melody/riff. And it's so often not there, as if the band just can't pull it off to save their lives. One thing for sure is that everyone has to feel it; one player who doesn't and it's gone.

• Members

No bounce:

[video=youtube;9olp2oGX6cw]

Bounce!

[video=youtube;IP8G4clUJBY]

Sure it's just swing. I'm fascinated though, by that feel in a non-jazz mode, where the same genre can have "it" or not, or almost... and what the components are that make it up. Vocal phrasing, space, accent on the one, especially melody/riff. And it's so often not there, as if the band just can't pull it off to save their lives. One thing for sure is that everyone has to feel it; one player who doesn't and it's gone.

Interesting how you hear things. They both bounce even though the first one's verse is blocky and the second one's is snazzier by comparison. They both have that "you dig this schitt" feel that put 'em on the charts in the first place.

• Members

Yuh. "Cept the first one didn't hit, second one did. Why?

(it's mediocre)

Psychotic Reaction by those San Jose ghouls went high though. And... it's got that snazzy bounce.

"I like it, but can the kids dance to it?" - The man behind the desk.

Archived