A Note Of Thanks

• Members

There are more spammers signing up every day

There is spam in 9 subforums at this very moment

Spam messages stay visible for hours

The way spam and spammers are treated on HC is by no means effective, the forums are an easy target.

This has been going on for years now, isn't it about time to look for a solution to deal more effectively with spam? Doesn't vB have any anti-spam add-ons ? How about Q&A or simply have mods approve the first post of new members.

This is the only place I visit that has spam. Other forums seem to have an effective solution, why can't HC do something about it ?.

Sorry, carpet bombing spammers or reporting spammers is not effective Banning spammers is not effective.

A new load of spammers sign up the next day and thy're are welcome to post their spam here every day. It only takes a minute to identify the spammers. go to the member list, sort by newest member (well, ideally it would be possible to but member list has been broken for years now) and check the newest members that have posted, most of these are spam.

I can't believe how much spam we get from time to time.

I'll flag it, if I see it, and I hope that helps. I hope others flag the spammers too.

It really does help tremendously, so thanks to all of you who do report the spam. We appreciate it!

We look for it too, but with more eyes, it tends to get spotted faster, and the faster it's noticed, the faster we can nuke it.

• Members

It really does help tremendously, so thanks to all of you who do report the spam. We appreciate it!

We look for it too, but with more eyes, it tends to get spotted faster, and the faster it's noticed, the faster we can nuke it.

If tyou could get he member list fixed, it would only take a minute to identify the daily load of spam and you don't need to look any further.

I would really appreciate it if you could finally come up with some effective measures to prevent the spammers signing up and posting.

One thing concerns me about the spam is the links for titles. Makes 'em easy to spot but how does VB handle those? Are they inert?

If you're asking if a URL in a thread title works as an actual link, no... it doesn't. Unless you highlighted it and intentionally tried to open it via C&P to a new browser tab, you're safe. If you click on it, it will just open the thread, not open the link.

• Members

I too want to thank all those who are nuking the spam.

One thing I know, "Spam never sleeps".

Too bad we just can't get everybody on the net to refuse to respond to spam. If it wasn't profitable, they wouldn't do it. But that isn't going to happen either.

Now do you wanna buy some used tennis shoes? Act fast because they are going out in tomorrow's trash. They are only $20, but to make sure you want them, send me $1,000,000 and I'll promptly send you the change from a bank in Nigeria.

Insights, incites and a lame attempt at humor by Notes

• Members

You mean the missed ones?. Couple things on that. If people would just flag the thing instead of pancaking it, it would get properly nuked. The other thing is maybe Nucleus can add some kind of 'previously flagged' indicator ? On the title itself even.

• Members

I don't know, from all I've seen, it appears advertising dollars continue to be spent because there is no feedback system in place to let the advertisers know their money is being wasted. I see it in radio, cable and broadcast TV, and newspapers all the time. There is no measure of it effectiveness, reach, response rate, any of that.

I suppose spam is more of a metered system, because one can count the number of clicks a web page gets to give the spammer some amount of micro-pennies per click. This allows spammer to game the system by writing bot programs to go out and click on the page at regular intervals... and the game continues.

Archived