Motivation

Mark L

• Members

This is an excellent topic, and one I've been thinking about a lot lately.

First of all, I'm not sure not writing anything since November 2015 is that long a time. When I've had "dry spells," they typically lasted two years. I finished writing the last song for "Neo-" in November 2014, but mixing, sequencing, assembling, and re-cutting most of the vocals due to my improved health took another two years. I only wrote two more songs until September 2016, and one of those came out of writing a review about a product and I ended up getting a hook out of it. So that was almost two years without any real songwriting.

In late September 2016 (paradoxically, I did the cover of "Black Market Daydreams" that precipitated "Neo-" in September 2012), while in the final stages of assembling "Neo-," a period of intense writing activity started. I made a conscious effort to follow the Mark L method of "bang it out quickly." If I started getting bogged down, I just did the simplest thing possible. I wrote nine songs in about 3 months, then started mixing. I wrote another two in the past couple weeks. For me, this is breakneck speed.

That's the backstory...here's the motivation aspect. I was copying over loop libraries and heard a really great drum loop. It was very primal and bluesy. Long story short is I added harmonica, came up with a chord progression, a simple set of words, and liked the results...if Neo- was a chocolate layer cake, the new song was nouvelle cuisine - short, direct, to the point. It inspired me to go in a whole different direction of simplicity, acoustic guitars, and also, I had a soprano ukulele that I'd pick up while SONAR was booting. I often came up with little riffs on the ukulele that ended up becoming songs.

So really, if I thought what I needed to do was a follow-up to "Neo-," I'd probably still be sitting around waiting for the muse. But because I was "tricked" into going into a different direction, it re-inspired me to pursue something new and different. That got me excited about music, making it a voyage of discovery again.

What I'd recommend is starting a different type of project. Write a jazzy torch song, or just your voice and acoustic guitar. Try something different, and I think the rest will take care of itself.

I already know what my next project is going to be after I wrap up "Simplicity," and it's going to be completely different.

But I will say...the Mark L songwriting method works and has become a permanent part of the way I write. Getting ideas down fast before the creativity dissipates is crucial. Parking your conscious mind and letting the muse take over is working well for me.

• Members

I come from a different perspective than most here since I don't routinely write with a multi-track recorder.

When writing (I play piano and write music on paper) I often like to sketch an idea. The idea may only be 2 or 3 measures, sometimes more. Sometimes I'll go back and play thru several sketches and maybe experiment with connecting them. Igor Stravinsky (in The Poetics of Music) said that a composer improvises aimlessly the way an animal grubs about. I often improvise aimlessly looking for an idea to pop up.

There are times when trying to finish something, I've felt kind of like a blacksmith. Hammering and sweating, trying to just get the damn thing done.

Also (as I think Craig mentioned) it helps me to do something that is different than the last thing I wrote.

I often write with a model in mind. For one thing I did a few months back, I had Ellington/Strayhorn in mind for the 1st half. Then in the second half, I tried channeling Burt Bacharach. No, I didn't copy anything specific, just used melody or harmony that seemed in keeping with their style.

I read years ago that PMac (of the Beatles) wrote "Let It Be" with "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" in the back of his mind.

• Members
What motivates you?

I've been suffering from a complete lack of motivation for quite some time. Not written a song since November 2015

I feel you!

Basically, I go to work, come home and I sit on the couch and let the TV watch me.

I am just lazy, lethargic and uninspired. :)

The good news is, I do not have Cable, Facebook or Twitter, I have no social media presence. My point is I do not have distractions as some may have but still I am totally uninspired.

After about 9 years of not touching music, I decided to put my Studio back together. It feels like I came out of a coma, I have to learn everything over.

Historically, I am mostly inspired by global/world events good or bad, I am inspired by people, love, hate, suffering, and human differences and world view.

My number one inspiration now is to just make music, because I like to believe that I have some level of talent and if I die tomorrow or today, it would have all gone to waste and no one would know that I was capable of making music, not even my own children.

That is what inspires me or I am attempting to be inspired. :)

• Members

Historically, I am mostly inspired by global/world events good or bad, I am inspired by people, love, hate, suffering, and human differences and world view.

Your timing is good. With pop music firmly entrenched in the establishment, and the emergence of a restless generation of college kids who suspect not all is quite right with the world, music that's inspired by "people, love, hate, suffering, and human differences and world view" has the potential to generate a lot more interest than whatever Beyonce is up to next.

• Members

And here's another thought about motivation: other people. Collaborating with Mark L and Brian H from Public Enemy kick-started my creativity.

The paradox is that doing a cover of Mark's "Black Market Daydreams" showed what I could bring to the party in terms of musical style, and that it was different from Mark. Try doing some semi-twisted versions of cover tunes - you just might have the same thing happen.

• Members

Your timing is good. With pop music firmly entrenched in the establishment, and the emergence of a restless generation of college kids who suspect not all is quite right with the world, music that's inspired by "people, love, hate, suffering, and human differences and world view" has the potential to generate a lot more interest than whatever Beyonce is up to next.

Very true:

I feel context is everything, the ability to communicate with people on a certain level. For example: Each time I listen to Bob Marley, I feel he's making a bold statement. In the song So much trouble: Bob Marley referred to the Space Program as an "Ego Trip," He also explained man was deserting the problems on earth and travelling million miles from reality.

I can't say I agree with that but the honesty and the ability talk to people is inspiring, especially in an non violent way.

Another thing is Daft Punk, the fact that they hide their faces and make music that is contextual yet full of anonymity but also very abstract is amazing.

We as humans are a very powerful, our words can bring people together in such positive ways but also destroy an entire generation. And that is what inspires me, our differences and uniqueness.

• Members

Yes, I think simplicity is the way to go

To that end I'm going to attempt to write a 10 song concept album, with each track being of three minutes duration or less. And I'm going to keep it simple. Just drums, bass and guitar. Vocals will be single-tracked and there will be no harmonies. I've already written one song. At the moment it's in my head. I reckon the concept will be 'water'. Rivers, lakes, the sea. That kind of thing

• Members

To that end I'm going to attempt to write a 10 song concept album, with each track being of three minutes duration or less. And I'm going to keep it simple. Just drums, bass and guitar. Vocals will be single-tracked and there will be no harmonies. I've already written one song. At the moment it's in my head. I reckon the concept will be 'water'. Rivers, lakes, the sea. That kind of thing

Looking forward to it Mark. Lemme know in advance when you're ready for release and I'll bring towels.:D

• Members

There you go. Once you start, it will just keep going.

With "Simplicity," every time I started losing my way it was because I got complicated. On one song I was knocking my head against the wall trying to come up with a verse. Too complicated. So each line became just a pair of evocative words...done, and done.

• Members
What motivates you?

I've been suffering from a complete lack of motivation for quite some time. Not written a song since November 2015

Sharing my belief system and point of view used to motivate me. (circa 1995-2007)

Then I realized, no one really cares because everyone has their own belief system and POV. What made me any different? That was a big blow to my ego so I went through a period of darkness.... (circa 2008 - 2012)

During that period, I suffered a silent death. I subconsciously knew that having kids and settling down with my wife was in a way, a decision to no longer pursue my own personal goals in life which was to be a successful singer-songwriter. It honestly took me a good 6-7 years after my first child`s birth to discover this.

This period of time was more than a depression, it was a period of immense darkness, a period of wandering...

Trying to figure out who I was, where I fit in the madness...

It took me a while to sort through, to finally settle into what I believe was manhood. I finally accepted the fact that I was a father and had other souls to care for besides my own. I hardly wrote any songs during that time... but interestingly enough, I did write a lot of sacred music and instrumental music. I simply did not have the words in me to describe what was going on internally so I turned to sacred text and instrumental music to express what I could not in words.

What motivates me today are two things:

1) I write a lot of sacred music for my own legacy... what will be left behind when I`m gone? Hopefully some of the music I wrote. Sacred music allows a lot more opportunity than going the singer-songwriter route.

2) Entertaining myself also motivates me. I`m not writing or producing music anymore to get approval from others. I write for my own self gratification. I enjoy the process of writing, recording, producing.

• Members

My intention was to write a 10-song concept album, the theme being 'water'. However, I think I was being a tad optimistic. So I've watered it down (if you'll pardon the pun) to a 4-track EP. Subject: The Titanic

Here's track 3. It's a passenger's account of the horrifying moment on 15th April 1912 when the mighty ship hit an iceberg and sank, with the loss of more than 1,500 lives. I haven't written parts 1, 2 and 4 yet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uclt2pzihjqbb4a/Titanic%20-%20The%20Sinking.mp3?dl=0

• Members

Believe it or not, buying new gear or refurbishing old gear was one of the best motivators. Every time I bought something new I would write new music while exploring it. A broken heart is one of the best motivators as well. I never did that on purpose, but looking back maybe I should have had a broken heart more often.

• Members
My intention was to write a 10-song concept album, the theme being 'water'. However, I think I was being a tad optimistic. So I've watered it down (if you'll pardon the pun) to a 4-track EP. Subject: The Titanic

Here's track 3. It's a passenger's account of the horrifying moment on 15th April 1912 when the mighty ship hit an iceberg and sank, with the loss of more than 1,500 lives. I haven't written parts 1, 2 and 4 yet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uclt2pzihjqbb4a/Titanic%20-%20The%20Sinking.mp3?dl=0

That is HILARIOUS!!!! (I do recommend mixing the voice a little higher, though.)

BTW I have a friend who's a huge fan of the Neo- album, and loves both of your songs on there...Black Market Daydreams and Only Ever After You. I played her the originals and she loved those equally as much - she said they're great songs, so there's no way they could be recorded "wrong." However I do take that as somewhat of a challenge, so if I do a Finnish Death Metal Whaling Song version with accordion, we'll see just how accurate her observation is.

• Members

That is HILARIOUS!!!! (I do recommend mixing the voice a little higher, though.)

BTW I have a friend who's a huge fan of the Neo- album, and loves both of your songs on there...Black Market Daydreams and Only Ever After You. I played her the originals and she loved those equally as much - she said they're great songs, so there's no way they could be recorded "wrong." However I do take that as somewhat of a challenge, so if I do a Finnish Death Metal Whaling Song version with accordion, we'll see just how accurate her observation is.

Well that's nice to know

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well...I suppose I'm just staying in touch. I was music everywhere all the time for a few decades. I worked a full time orchestra job and had my electric violin project, played for a band in the area for a while. Life seemed rather complete as far as that stuff goes. I'd somehow caught the ear of a Warner Bros A&R guy in Minneapolis as well. He of course wanted to see more than my violin and a drum machine. Efforts to form a band while working for the orchestra didn't quite pan out. Looking back, I was just too used up a lot of the time. Conductors want more - even if the indication is morendo...it has to be done with full engagement, if not vitality. I could do it no other way, regardless. And even though the conductor may know that, they're still up there pulling for more. Or more less.

Then my neck was injured and a whole lotta stuff got wiped...like hopes and dreams, expectations and big ideas. Career.

Stripped.

I remember this fleeting thought I had at the time. 'Well, there goes having to live up to my talent.' As though it was a relief. :lol:

I kept writing though for a few years, trying to be patient with the neck, trying not to give up, and eventually wound up with a lot of music that needed that last thing that was now in short supply...me and my violin. Programmed keyboard solos weren't anywhere close.

So the last few years I haven't written much. I had a lot of unanswered questions as far as recording, mixing goes and instead I took a few of my more promising songs and tried a lot of different things with them. Parallel compression, matching reverb decay, pre delay to the tempo. What actually benefits from compression in the mix, and what is best left without, or just a touch? I guess I'm not really worried about creating more songs as much as finishing up what is already there and having it sound reasonably well done, at least to me. I'm 'a gittin thar.

Making use of skills that were years in the making. And maybe if nothing else my son can know that his dad was good at something and he wasn't a quitter, even when he probably had reason enough to be.

• Members

You never know when, in a few seconds, your life will change for the better or worse. All you can do is accept whatever happens and act accordingly.

The comment "Programmed keyboard solos weren't anywhere close" caught my eye. Controllers like the Linnstrument and ROLI Seaboard may not be at acoustic instrument levels yet...but they're getting there. I suspect that before too long, we'll be able to make truly expressive solos with electronic sounds.

• Members
You never know when, in a few seconds, your life will change for the better or worse. All you can do is accept whatever happens and act accordingly.

The comment "Programmed keyboard solos weren't anywhere close" caught my eye. Controllers like the Linnstrument and ROLI Seaboard may not be at acoustic instrument levels yet...but they're getting there. I suspect that before too long, we'll be able to make truly expressive solos with electronic sounds.

I wasn't comparing to an acoustic. My electric violin is quite capable of getting me where I wish to go also, when I'm capable.

Just saying that it will never be the same. I'd found my voice. I don't have anywhere near the facility with a keyboard that I have with the violin - having played since I was 5. While I did have some fun fabricating some keyboard *chops, it's not the same as being practically one with an instrument you've spent your life with. I'm sure that some will manage to express themselves quite well with the gear you mention, and I meant no slight to such gear, really.

And yeah, one of the last things my dad said to me on the matter was, "Sometimes you have to work with what you have left." I can't stand to play my acoustic much at all. But I came up with a way to strap my electric instrument on, quite discretely. It's easier on the neck, and it vibrates a lot less so I can actually stand to play it a fair amount on my good days. Enough that I believe can finish my project, as me. For that I'm thankful! I do my best to accentuate the positive, but and at the same time I have few if any illusions anymore. I work on my songs now for the same reason that I started writing in the first place. And all the dark, lost days were just a temporary setback. :thu:

• Members

I wasn't comparing to an acoustic. My electric violin is quite capable of getting me where I wish to go also, when I'm capable.

Just saying that it will never be the same. I'd found my voice. I don't have anywhere near the facility with a keyboard that I have with the violin - having played since I was 5. While I did have some fun fabricating some keyboard *chops, it's not the same as being practically one with an instrument you've spent your life with. I'm sure that some will manage to express themselves quite well with the gear you mention, and I meant no slight to such gear, really.

And yeah, one of the last things my dad said to me on the matter was, "Sometimes you have to work with what you have left." I can't stand to play my acoustic much at all. But I came up with a way to strap my electric instrument on, quite discretely. It's easier on the neck, and it vibrates a lot less so I can actually stand to play it a fair amount on my good days. Enough that I believe can finish my project, as me. For that I'm thankful! I do my best to accentuate the positive, but and at the same time I have few if any illusions anymore. I work on my songs now for the same reason that I started writing in the first place. And all the dark, lost days were just a temporary setback. :thu:

I have to say....The two posts you have in this thread are at once, confessional and inspiring. I suppose I also have to offer a bit of apology. I had a notion of who you were, based on a thread where a person, I suppose a youngster, had submitted a tune of his, which while admittedly, not up to scratch, was nonetheless posted with I believe a naivete that could only indicate a need for approval. Several different members of this forum chimed in with what I thought was a completely over the top damning of this persons offering. You too criticized it, but in a strictly technical form. I guess I was a bit torqued up by the previous flames directed towards the person, and immediately put you in the same category as the other, more hurtful commentators...At that point I put you in my personal "Person to ignore completely" file.

I see now...I was no better than the people I thought were too eager to tear that kid down...I rushed to judgement too early as regards you personally. The fact that I never voiced my negative feelings about it here really makes no difference. I didn't know your backstory. Your professional life, your injury and the incredible trials you faced because of it, the true cost of it. Your determination to not let it beat you. Well it's absolutely inspiring...

• Members

I have to say....The two posts you have in this thread are at once, confessional and inspiring. I suppose I also have to offer a bit of apology. I had a notion of who you were, based on a thread where a person, I suppose a youngster, had submitted a tune of his, which while admittedly, not up to scratch, was nonetheless posted with I believe a naivete that could only indicate a need for approval. Several different members of this forum chimed in with what I thought was a completely over the top damning of this persons offering. You too criticized it, but in a strictly technical form. I guess I was a bit torqued up by the previous flames directed towards the person, and immediately put you in the same category as the other, more hurtful commentators...At that point I put you in my personal "Person to ignore completely" file.

I see now...I was no better than the people I thought were too eager to tear that kid down...I rushed to judgement too early as regards you personally. The fact that I never voiced my negative feelings about it here really makes no difference. I didn't know your backstory. Your professional life, your injury and the incredible trials you faced because of it, the true cost of it. Your determination to not let it beat you. Well it's absolutely inspiring...

:cool3: Well thank you, AlamoJoe! I'm not sure an apology is necessary, accepted nonetheless. Yes, that was some thin ice you speak of. I've done enough teaching to know that sometimes one has to lay it down and somehow not hurt feelings or crush spirits. I could maybe have done better. The poster had a red flag issue, from where I come from. Not unlike a cook serving up a raw steak - it doesn't matter how well it was seasoned, or plated at that point. And when the cook seemingly can't tell the difference? But yeah, he/she got the Chef Ramsey treatment from someone else.

I was feeling like I'd shared too much. Glad some good came of all that blathering. :D

It hasn't been easy. It could be much worse. I'd be nowhere without my wife and son.

• Members

Different phases of life bring different motivation for creating or lack thereof. I haven't written a song since Sept 2012. Longest non-creative period of my life. However, previous to that in the 5 years before, I wrote/co-wrote almost 200.

I do not see a reason to write any more. I've said it all and learned how to write the level and styles I wanted. I was in Nashville for 4 years playing that game writing in that box and that really did me in,..I can say if I ever write again it will be ONLY for me, NOT commercial consumption.

These days I'm gigging full time building up a corporate/private events live music brand, I hope to be out of playing live, just running the business end of it all in 5 years. It's just Seasons of life.

• Members

Depends on the controller.

Low bandwidth, recorded on the gig with an old Archos Juke Box about 20 years ago using a Yamaha Wind Midi Controller and a Yamaha VL70-m synth module. So the tone is poor but the solos are expressive IMO

Link MIDI sax solo #1

Link MIDI guitar solo

Link MIDI sax solo #2

They were recorded on the gig, and as things go, sometimes we played them better, sometimes we played them worse, but the guy with the Archos close to our PA speaker caught these performances.

Not perfect emulations of the instruments, but close enough for the public, and definitely as expressive as can be done with an acoustic or acoustic/electric instrument.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived