Protect your hearing

144dB

• Members

From now on, I think I'm going to carry a pair of ear plugs with me.

I went to a work party with my wife last weekend, and the DJ was playing about 20 dB above "loud". I went fowling last night (football bowling), and again, the music was about 10-15 dB above a normal listening level.

It's just not worth it... I've spent a lot of time honing my ears and learning to pick up small details, and when you get in an environment like that, it's damaging.

• Members

I have the same issue - I vote with my feet, get up and leave. It's amazing how retail business and restaurant owners think their customers want to hear horrible (horrible, defined as something I didn't pick out to play) music at deafening levels. I'll go somewhere where my dollars are fed to somebody who respects my right to a quiet conversation...

• Members

NBA and NFL games included. They should give away ear plugs with the season tickets.

The Seahawks level of noise approaches jet-takeoff levels at times. I'm a fan, but really, risking hearing loss for the sake of any entertainment is.....you fill in the blank. Not to mention weekend target practice with the Glock. My son's hearing was damaged permanently because his (brilliant as usual) young buddies all said they never wore hearing protection - the first shot fired took out my son's hearing in one ear.

nat

• Members

I'm with you Phil... Normally I would leave, but in this case it was my wife's party and I had to make the sacrifice. I think the sound might have affected me more than the average attendee, since my ears are really sharp right now.

Funny enough, the venue had massive traps on all walls, but the sound was still terrible. Each trap was about 8 feet wide and 16 to 20 feet tall with mineral wool behind it (and a ~2 foot air gap). There were six to eight on each wall. Either the DJ needed to dip out 250 Hz and 400 Hz, or the room was still really bad. It was horribly boomy.

I'm amazed how many performers and/or actors have damaged hearing. I once saw a list on the web, and to Nat's point, a lot of it is from pyrotechnics or sound effect mishaps.

• Members

I have Westone/Etymotic passive, custom molded ear plugs and both 15 and 25 models. I also have Etymotic active ear plugs for softer environments with occasional louder peaks.

I take the appropriate one with me when I expect to be subjected to loud noises, and I have an older pair with both 15 and 25 inserts in the car 'just in case' I'm surprised.

If the volume is over 85db after my ear plugs attenuate them, I'm out of there.

Notes

Archived