Harry Fox Notice Of Compulsory License

• Members

So, recently I released a CD, and got a streaming & retail distribution package from the CD maker. Once I did all the steps to get the streaming stuff going I received some postal mail (since I hold all copyright & PRO rights for the music) containing notices from Harry Fox agency that they were taking out a compulsory license to redistribute the music on Spotify. I'm not sure what this verbage means... License, I get.

Compulsory.... who is being compelled? What are they being compelled to do?

Has anyone else heard of this or have gotten a similar notice? What exactly this is telling me? I'm not very good at deciphering legalese...

Oh (at the risk of being called a spammer), in case there's any interest in the CD itself:

preview: http://www.soundclick.com/philboking

buy tracks or CD: http://www.cdbaby.com/philboking2

• Members
So, recently I released a CD, and got a streaming & retail distribution package from the CD maker. Once I did all the steps to get the streaming stuff going I received some postal mail (since I hold all copyright & PRO rights for the music) containing notices from Harry Fox agency that they were taking out a compulsory license to redistribute the music on Spotify. I'm not sure what this verbage means... License, I get.

Compulsory.... who is being compelled? What are they being compelled to do?

Has anyone else heard of this or have gotten a similar notice? What exactly this is telling me? I'm not very good at deciphering legalese...

Oh (at the risk of being called a spammer), in case there's any interest in the CD itself:

preview: www.soundclick.com/philboking

buy tracks or CD: www.cdbaby.com/philboking2

Well, I'm extremely, intimately, historically, acutely involved with compulsory licensing. Compulsory licensing for streaming is.... additional, new territory that is (imo) yet another way to insure an artist makes no money in general distribution. The regular, old compulsory license is/was already basically a non-income....well.... irritatingly low income for the artist.. that can/could be invoked on "you"....

at any rate, the first thing to do is microscopically read the "streaming package" part of the agreement you signed with your cd maker. Sounds like you signed away a right ....er....signed "up" for a feature.... to allow the entire universe to file compulsory licenses on you to re-stream your stuff to kingdom-come... paying you what amounts to microscopic amounts of money that won't pull you through a McDonald's drive-thru on any regular basis.

Sounds like Fox ......or 3rd party streaming companies operating by filing compulsory notices with Fox...aimed a CU at "you"... perhaps because you were submitted via your Cd maker "package". No one has probably even listened to your stuff in relation to the compulsory license filing.... they (whoever "they" turns out to be) just want (as usual) to add tonnage to their already gargantuan pile of music that "they" offer to the public to entice visitors etc..... no doubt "they" make "their" money from anything other than the pile of music.... more like from advertising and who knows what else. Hence, the teeny tiny miniscule amounts on compulsories (even in the contested streaming areas) is the way "they" move forward.

That's the most general way I can think to state the situation. Check each line of what you signed on that deal. That may not be the culprit, but that's where to start.

• Members

Seems like a reasonable explanation.

Thanks a bunch for taking time to explain, I appreciate it.

I'm not looking to get rich off this CD or streaming; it's about spreading my music around. (I like to be realistic; a niche genre like blues probably isn't going to get enough streams to pay for more than a car wash once a year....) But it is a way getting my tunes in front of more people.

Archived