Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post

Keep the wife, eat the dog.
    Ended up eating 'em both. Guitars are very important
    new album - smoke
    forum - the asylum

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post

Ended up eating 'em both. Guitars are very important
      The experience should inspire a new tune or two.

I loved her so much
      She was really hard to kill
      I drank a brandy in her honor
      As I roasted her tenderloins on the grill

http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Based on this thread, I just popped into a GC and tried out a Faded. I dunno, the neck feels strange to me. Too fat or something. And for my taste, I'd probably stick with an SG instead of a Faded. But... that's what makes the guitar world go round.

You know what was slightly disturbing to me as I stood in the store...... that GREEN LP Classic I keep seeing pics of here looks REALLY cool on the store wall. I've never owned a green guitar before. I think I had a turqoise Silvertone at some point in 1964, but hey.... I'm getting concerned that I like this green thing so much. That's a bad obsession indicator on my part.

Is anything other than the Classic offered in that green color? As an aside, "green ocean burst" doesn't work for me. Face it, this thing is a "green popsicle". A very tasty looking one at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
          <...>

And besides, don't most Epiphones come with a lifetime warranty? If so, you probably don't want to wait around until it "expires!"
          I would suspect Gibson/Epiphone would stand by their lifetime warranty.

However, there is never a guarantee on their warranty.

Years ago I bought an Ultimate Support A Frame keyboard stand. They offered a "Lifetime Warranty". I had a couple of parts wear out, and they always replaced them free of charge. I even lost one of the rubber 'feet' once, called then up expecting to buy one, after all it didn't fail, but they replaced it at no charge.

And a particular plastic part does fail, it's a ring that holds the keyboard support to the aluminum tube. For years they replaced them.

Then one day another one cracked, I called the company, and they said that they don't make that part anymore.

I told them that you sold this product with a "Lifetime Warranty" and I'm still alive and asked them again to replace the part.

They replied telling me that I can't expect them to continue manufacturing a part for a product that has been discontinued.

I told them that I did expect them to honor their warranty or they shouldn't have offered it in the first place

They refused to do so.

Now if they had offered me a 5 or 10 year warranty, I could understand that. Any parts that failed after the warranty period are gone - the company bears no responsibility.

But a lifetime warranty means just that. Don't say it if you don't mean it.

Ultimate Support went from a company that I held in the highest esteem to one I hold in low esteem.

I've never bought another Ultimate Support stand since. Except for used ones on ebay so I can cannibalize the parts when those plastic support rings break (I lost one last weekend).

If they had done something else to compensate me, it might have been different. But they were very indifferent, short, and cold to my request. I felt they didn't care about me. And that put me off.

When a company has a problem it's an opportunity. Either an opportunity to make a customer for life, or to lose a customer, depending on how the problem is handled. Many companies don't realize that. But they should

Perhaps you should call Epiphone and ask directly if what you want to do voids the warranty.

Insights and incites by Notes
          Bob "Notes" Norton
          Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
          Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
          The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

• AlamoJoe
            AlamoJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            Methinks you may be right Notes...I'll shoot 'em an email before I jump on some new tuners.

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post
          Hadn't considered that actually....perhaps I'll go shopping for some new tuners....
          With all due respect to Phil, I just read the detailed Gibson/Epi warranty and as an often-attorney (which means nothing of course) I'll suggest that if you change ONE IOTA of that guitar with something that didn't COME WITH that guitar when you bought it, your warranty is effectively void. On paper. Just my two cents opinion.

If you put better tuners on the guitar and then five years from now, your body cracks from some defect or other.... and you ship your guitar in for repair and the factory opens it up and sees the non-original tuners they can sure say....... whoops.... no service because you didn't follow point 1 of the warranty which is.....NO MODS.... none... zero....zilch. You do mods, no warranty on nuthin.

It makes NO difference that your issue with an exploding guitar or whatever has nothing to do with the tuners you put on. Even though totally unrelated to the issue, your mod of that guitar.... even potentially with just something benign as different volume knob caps..... screws your warranty. Again... on paper. Which is the legal document.

That's what the warranty sentence point 1 or whatever boils down to. As I read it... and as certainly I'd see MY out in having to do a repair. But hey, people is people. The factory may well fix/replace the guitar due to the unexpected cave-in of the body in that future year. Or....not. Totally their decision, but the mod is KEY for a "no" answer. If they decide that instead.

Just sayin.
          Last edited by bookumdano4; 03-13-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• AlamoJoe
            AlamoJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            Sound advice. The tuners aren't terrible really...But I'm a chronic string bender. Perhaps I should just leave things as they are...And just put up with having to retune frequently.

• bookumdano4
            bookumdano4 commented
            Editing a comment
            AlamoJoe... or just put the tuners on if you want. Notwithstanding what I typed based on my left brain...for me personally, that's what I'd do .... heck, the first thing I did with ALL my Les Pauls was add Bigsbys to them. And come to think of it, tuners on some of them. I've known every step of the way that I was not only uglifying the guitars in the eyes of purists... but also instantly voiding my warranty (whatever it was in the 70s).

A warranty is perhaps a valued thing for many. On a guitar... my guitars.... I'm picky and just have to have everything the way I want. Life is short. Personally.... I pass on the warranty.

But I do read them.... and understand them. Everyone should at least make an informed decision
            Last edited by bookumdano4; 03-16-2017, 01:09 PM.

Fewer string winds on the tuning machines, pencil lead in the nut slots, and one of those clip on tuners sounds like a good thing.

And if you ask Gibson/Epiphone about changing the tuners, get it in writing.

But IMO they would be crazy to default you on that mod from my point of view if the mod had nothing to do with the problem. As I said in my last post, a problem can make or lose a customer for life.

Example:

My Parker developed a small crack in the body almost a year after the warranty had expired. I wrote to them, they said send it back and they would fix it.

More than a year after the first repair, it cracked again. I wrote to them asking advice on how to fix it. Even though the warranty had expired by a couple of years, they said the wood shouldn't have cracked again, it must have been a bad piece of wood, so they replaced the guitar with a brand new one. They even paid shipping both ways. Unexpected and delightful response to my problem.

When I wanted another guitar, I bought another Parker from the custom shop - my specs. Same body, same color but instead of Strat style SSH pickups, I had them build it with two Duncan P-Rails with triple shot rings.

I also posted their great customer service on a few guitar forums. It's been another few years, no more problems, and the custom job is my gigging guitar.

And when it comes time to get a new guitar, where do you think I'll look first? You guessed it.

Insights and incites by Notes
          Bob "Notes" Norton
          Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
          Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
          The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

Originally posted by Notes_Norton View Post

And if you ask Gibson/Epiphone about changing the tuners, get it in writing.
            Man, I can't see any company anywhere sending out a letter like that. In Gibson's case, it would essentially be a letter okaying a void to point 1 (or maybe it was point 2) of their worldwide, written warranty. For one guy no less. That's not a letter I'd ever expect to see in my mailbox in any way shape or form.

Comment

• Notes_Norton
              Notes_Norton commented
              Editing a comment
              Then that would be your answer, and you'd know for sure not to do it.
          Working...
          X