No announcement yet.

Why are Gibson guitars so expensive?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anderton View Post

Another issue is the extent to which Gibson guitars are counterfeited. There are people at Gibson whose gig is to keep counterfeiters from getting the guitars to market, and a legal team that's constantly dealing with the repercussions. It's not just a question of "gee, we'd rather they buy our stuff" but the calls to support about "Your guitars suck!! I've only had my Les Paul for a month and the neck is unplayable!!" where it turns out the buyer bought a counterfeit. (One of my favorite memes while walking past a support person: "Yes, sir, it is indeed a serial number. However it's not a Gibson serial number.") Unfortunately, legitimate customers have to cover the cost of dealing with crooks (just like if you buy something at a big box store, you're paying for the losses caused by shoplifters).
    And there's another aspect to the counterfeit issue - a company pretty much has to vigorously defend their trademarks and copyrights or they risk losing them. They don't have a choice in the matter.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/oliverh.../#2c6349c46c22

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

The Keisel stuff has interesting colors, designs etc. I was just looking through their site. But there's nothing there I'm personally attracted to or would ever actually buy. That's for sure a reflection of me coming from the days of only 3 tv networks and only 3 guitar makers.

I don't really have a major gripe about Les Paul Customs costing $3500 or more new now. If I woke up one morning and decided to buy a new one to add to my existing old guitars, I could certainly do it. As long as the market can bear the price Gibson sets, everyone gets what they want.

Comment

I think I've fallen in love with this guitar: http://www.dawsons.co.uk/gibson-2017...FQaVGwodj1gBCg

But what does 'sumptuous PAF-inspired tones' mean?
        new album - smoke
        forum - the asylum

Comment

That's a GREAT choice!! I love the Faded. As I wrote in an article about it, if I could pick one guitar out of the 2017 Traditional lineup, it would be that one. I do prefer the red one, though...

But what does 'sumptuous PAF-inspired tones' mean?

It's marketing-speak for "you'll like how it sounds."

CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

That's a GREAT choice!! I love the Faded. As I wrote in an article about it, if I could pick one guitar out of the 2017 Traditional lineup, it would be that one. I do prefer the red one, though...
            You can have the red one, I'll take the brown. I already have a faded cherry LP. I like all the silver on this 2017 model. Looks good against the brown wood. I don't like shiny-bodied guitars and I don't like pick-guards, so this would be perfect for me. Not ridiculously expensive, either

new album - smoke
            forum - the asylum

Comment

The silver pickup rings....Never saw those before I don't think. All the silver appointments, the knobs and switches, set against the wood gives it a really unique look. Sharp Dressed Guitar. I like it!
              http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Yes, the HP line of guitars all have that chromey look (as opposed to the traditional line). I must say that in person, it looks better than the photo from Dawson's. On stage, if you point the guitar properly to reflect the stage lights, you can cause temporary blindness.

The HP version also has the fast access scarf, as well as the titanium bridge and such and the G Force automatic tuning. I know a lot of people hate the concept, but I find it more conducive to songwriting when the guitar is in tune in a few seconds. I can't tune all six strings at once, it can.

Comment

Yes, the HP line of guitars all have that chromey look (as opposed to the traditional line). I must say that in person, it looks better than the photo from Dawson's. On stage, if you point the guitar properly to reflect the stage lights, you can cause temporary blindness.

The HP version also has the fast access scarf, as well as the titanium bridge and such and the G Force automatic tuning. I know a lot of people hate the concept, but I find it more conducive to songwriting when the guitar is in tune in a few seconds. I can't tune all six strings at once, it can.
                  Well it gives that Gibby a edgier look with out taking away from the classic shape.

I frankly do not hate the concept of the autotune innovation. Tuning is a necessary must on a guitar, but not a task i take any kind of thrill from. I simply cannot afford a thusly equipped Gibby. I recently bought an Epiphone, the first new guitar purchase in 20 years. I love the thing with the exception of the tuners...And they are not very special at all.

Comment

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post
                    I love the thing with the exception of the tuners...And they are not very special at all.
                    Can you replace the tuners with something better, assuming the $$ to do so?

Comment

I'm not a traditionalist as far as guitars are concerned, so the G-Force tuning system on the LP is a welcome addition. In fact, it's a very welcome addition since I suffer from some kind of dyslexia when it comes to tuning guitars manually. I'll tune each string to my satisfaction, then when I play a chord it sounds discordant. So bravo Gibson for this helpful gadget

If I buy the guitar I'm afraid my wife and dog will have to go without food for a while. But hey, we all have to make sacrifices...
                      new album - smoke
                      forum - the asylum

Comment

Can you replace the tuners with something better, assuming the $$ to do so?
                        Well it's still under warranty so I'm hesitant to do anything to it yet in case there's some kind of electrical malfunction that would be covered under the warranty. Once it expires, I'll definitely jump on a better set of tuners. I like the guitars tone and the neck is very satisfactory. My first hollowbody so I'm still kind of finding things different to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post
                          I'm not a traditionalist as far as guitars are concerned, so the G-Force tuning system on the LP is a welcome addition. In fact, it's a very welcome addition since I suffer from some kind of dyslexia when it comes to tuning guitars manually. I'll tune each string to my satisfaction, then when I play a chord it sounds discordant. So bravo Gibson for this helpful gadget

If I buy the guitar I'm afraid my wife and dog will have to go without food for a while. But hey, we all have to make sacrifices...

Keep the wife, eat the dog.

Comment

Keep the wife, eat the dog.

From time to time, SSS offers true wisdom.

Comment

Well it's still under warranty so I'm hesitant to do anything to it yet in case there's some kind of electrical malfunction that would be covered under the warranty. Once it expires, I'll definitely jump on a better set of tuners. I like the guitars tone and the neck is very satisfactory. My first hollowbody so I'm still kind of finding things different to do with it.
                              I can't speak officially for Epiphone, but I can't imagine any guitar company would void the warranty on a guitar's electronics just because you replaced the tuning machines on it.

And besides, don't most Epiphones come with a lifetime warranty? If so, you probably don't want to wait around until it "expires!"

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

I can't speak officially for Epiphone, but I can't imagine any guitar company would void the warranty on a guitar's electronics just because you replaced the tuning machines on it.

And besides, don't most Epiphones come with a lifetime warranty? If so, you probably don't want to wait around until it "expires!"
                                Hadn't considered that actually....perhaps I'll go shopping for some new tuners....

Comment

Working...
                                X