No announcement yet.

NAMMbulating 2017

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAMMbulating 2017

This is not meant to be comprehensive. It's not even close. It's just what I saw while NAMMbulatilng, and nothing more, with my iPhone in tow. Enjoy!

P.S. I tried posting this on Sunday, but couldn't create a new post for whatever reason. At least it is working now....

NAMMbulating 2017

Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Good report as usual, Ken. I wish everyone who posts photos as a show report would follow your lead and add some commentary. It makes it your personal report rather than just shooting at cool looking stuff.

I saw that telegraph key but where I saw it was at a booth that sold metal parts, as an illustration of how to use their die cast aluminum boxes. I didn't realize that it was a real effect - and maybe the one I saw wasn't, or wasn't yet. I must have seen the IsoVox at a noisier time than you did, but I didn't find it as effective as it seemed to be for you. There's really no substitute for a quiet room.

For something completely different, I'll have my consolidated NAMM report put together early next week.
    Last edited by MikeRivers; 01-27-2017, 06:26 AM.
    --
    "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
    Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post
      Good report as usual, Ken. I wish everyone who posts photos as a show report would follow your lead and add some commentary. It makes it your personal report rather than just shooting at cool looking stuff.

I saw that telegraph key but where I saw it was at a booth that sold metal parts, as an illustration of how to use their die cast aluminum boxes. I didn't realize that it was a real effect - and maybe the one I saw wasn't, or wasn't yet. I must have seen the IsoVox at a noisier time than you did, but I didn't find it as effective as it seemed to be for you. There's really no substitute for a quiet room.

For something completely different, I'll have my consolidated NAMM report put together early next week.

Cool. Always look forward to seeing that.

The IsoVox was very quiet for those who were outside the box. You could sing inside the box without disturbing others. It seems to be much more effective at that than vice versa, as the noise from the NAMM floor was maybe cut in half, which is certainly better than nothing, but still rather loud.

I don't know that this is going to really fly at approximately US$1000 (not including a beefy stand that you would need for this), assuming that they get U.S. distribution, but it's not a bad idea of someone is really concerned about cheesing off the neighbors while singing.
      Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli View Post

The IsoVox was very quiet for those who were outside the box. You could sing inside the box without disturbing others. It seems to be much more effective at that than vice versa, as the noise from the NAMM floor was maybe cut in half, which is certainly better than nothing, but still rather loud.

I don't know that this is going to really fly at approximately US$1000 (not including a beefy stand that you would need for this), assuming that they get U.S. distribution, but it's not a bad idea of someone is really concerned about cheesing off the neighbors while singing.
        A year or so ago, Sound on Sound magazine did one of their Mike Rivers style highly detailed reviews of about a dozen "portable vocal booths." One of the things that they found was that all of them reflected enough into the back and sides of the mic to make it sound noticably different than the mic out in the open. The bigger ones affected the sound less, but were more difficult to set up and use. The overall conclusion was that if you needed some isolation, they were all about equally effective, but none were as good as recording in a room, even one that wasn't optimized for recording.

--
        "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006

Comment

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I use a couple of large RealTraps in a "V" pattern around the microphone, but otherwise in an open room. And I only do that because my room sounds like crap. But if I do this even with the microphone in omni, it sounds considerably better than if I use one of those iso sorts of things, in my opinion.

Comment

Those are really cool-looking photos and you definitely found some neat stuff! This was the first NAMM show where I didn't really get to see the exhibits, so I find myself depending on the reports from others. I'm looking forward to Mike's as well, and have been going through the 130 videos that Phil and Dendy took, as well as going through the news Chris collected.

Fortunately I did get to do the "Hall E Crawl" with Mats Nermark. If I could visit only one hall at NAMM, it would be Hall E. You gotta love the mad scientists.

I also was shocked at the ascendancy of modular synths. It hasn't quite reached the ukulele craze of the last few years, but jeez, modular synths were huge. I did a video of going past the booths - nothing deep or detailed, but it gives you an idea of just how prevalent modular synths were.

I do think it was a pretty "up" show overall. What really struck me was the contrast with all the discord, friction, and demonstrations in the outside world compared to what happens when you get 100,000+ musicians in one place at one time. That's the size of a small city, yet there were no murders, people arrested for drunk or disorderly conduct, or fights breaking out. In fact everyone queued up as appropriate, waited patiently for when the escalators overheated, opened doors for others, and so on. I asked a security guard if they ever have to deal with any issues and he said he never had.
            CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

It's difficult to exaggerate how prevalent and popular modular synths are. They used to be relegated to some corner of Hall E, but in the past five years, they're in Hall A....and everywhere else. They are popular, there are tons of people at the booths, there's an explosion of modular synths everywhere, they're talked about constantly, and the booths are packed with people.

If we encounter people who don't quite get the popularity, we sometimes joke and say it's because they're not a bearded 20-something, as many of the people showing interest in modular synths are very young, but no, they seem to be popular with everyone. I think it's fun, and there are so many modular synths and associated things that it's impossible not to notice.

Curiously, we noticed a surprising amount of booths with harps in them. Next big thing? Light harps? MIDI harps? Electric harps? Virtual harps? Mini-harps? AI harps? What's next?

Comment

There were a couple of years where there was quite a large collection of analog synths in Hall E, but most of them were one-offs. It's indeed impressive how many there were were on display this year that you could buy, and that weren't frightfully expensive. Most of those were pretty simple one-box devices, I suspect more appropriate for laying down a beat for a dance track than for scoring a film, but you can make a lot of bleeps and bloops for a hundred bucks or even less these days.

My report is plodding along. I think I'm going to end up spending more time researching and writing than I spent looking at the show. This was another one of those "no literature to give you, go to our web site" shows, then on the web site instead of seeing specs and features, I find a $#&*! video instead.

I need an intern, or else I'm going to be interred pretty soon.
                Last edited by MikeRivers; 01-29-2017, 04:25 PM.
                --

Comment

Working...
                X