No announcement yet.

Lord, Forgive Me...I Have Sinned, and Played Ukulele Parts

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord, Forgive Me...I Have Sinned, and Played Ukulele Parts

It's dangerous how they sneak up on you. I have a Lag Ukulele and one day, while waiting for my computer to finish rendering something, I picked it up and riffed. However I came up with a riff I liked, so I recorded it. I looped it, used it in a song, and people really liked the song.

Oh, I was just going to do it that one time. A novelty...yeah, that's the ticket. An aberration that would be soon forgotten.

But then I was working on another song and I thought a uke might sound good. I should have resisted, but what would it hurt to try it just one more time?

Then it ended up getting included on a third song, with a dotted eighth echo effect...

But seriously, a ukulele? Well, it's not unlike a guitar with Nashville tuning in the sense of layering some high-frequency stuff over the guitars. And, the nylon strings add a different character. No, I'm, not doing Hawaiian slack key stuff...but it actually sounds pretty cool. Or at least I think it sounds cool. It may be the ukulele is doing some kind of mind control that only makes me think it sounds cool.
    Last edited by Anderton; 01-04-2017, 06:36 PM.
    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

But then I was working on another song and I thought a uke might sound good. I should have resisted, but what would it hurt to try it just one more time?

Be careful - That's how they get you hooked on the things...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

My friend writes songs and plays a ukelele, playing it with a jazz rhythm section, and it sounds good. He often, although definitely not always, throws a bit of delay on the uke both studio and live. Sounds very good, and not always immediately obvious that it's a uke.
      Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

It could be worse - it could've been a......

BANJO!!!
        Paddle faster........

The Mandolin Picker

"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Comment

STEP AWAY FROM THE UKULELES - YOU'VE BEEN WARNED
          Actually, the uke got to be pretty popular in southern old time fiddle and banjo strings bands starting in about the 1950s and it's still common today. It's a good rhythm instrument when the guitar player can't keep time or doesn't know the chords. Or they don't have a guitar player.

--
          "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
          Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Ukelele is a challenging instrument, if you allow it to be. I started out just messing around with one about 7 years ago after a trip to Hawaii, and seeing a demo of some $3-4000 handmade ukes...within a year, I had created a 'mini-set' of 5 ukelele songs for my solo act. I bought another uke...and then an Epiphone Les Paul Ukelele...I'm hooked. I like them for traveling, they fit in my backpack or suitcase and the overhead storage. I am working up to using the Epi uke with my jazz/R&B band at the end of the month.

I mean, come on, it's not like it was an accordian, right?
            Last edited by daddymack; 01-04-2017, 04:55 PM.
            "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
            "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
              Ukelele is a challenging instrument, if you allow it to be. I started out just messing around with one about 7 years ago after a trip to Hawaii, and seeing a demo of some $3-4000 handmade ukes...within a year, I had created a 'mini-set' of 5 ukelele songs for my solo act. I bought another uke...and then an Epiphone Les Paul Ukelele...I'm hooked. I like them for traveling, they fit in my backpack or suitcase and the overhead storage. I am working up to using the Epi uke with my jazz/R&B band at the end of the month.

I mean, come on, it's not like it was an accordian, right?
              No, but I am a huge Astor Piazzolla fan...although technically, he played a bandoneon so I guess I'm safe with that.

So on my new songs there's lots of acoustic guitar, ukulele, and harmonica...and electronics. What I'm finding is far from getting into arguments, they complement each other very nicely. I guess my next album will be very different from Neo-...then again every song on Neo- was different, so at least I'm consistent in my inconsistency.

As to banjo...well, there is a Variax banjo patch...and Coral sitar...I suspect I'll come into Gibson someday and be whisked off to an intervention.
              Last edited by Anderton; 01-04-2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Several of the songs on George Harrison's last album, "Brainwashed", were actually Uke songs that Jeff Lynne and Dhani Harrison discovered in George's archives and fleshed out. Harrison was a major uke fan and player and always traveled with 2, often giving one away.

So, yer in good company fellas.
                http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

One word: sonic color. OK two words. I have a baritone uke and love the sound. The bad image has to do with music people associate with the instrument. Thinking about the lap steel, there's been the general image of Hawaiian music. But I've also heard some kick ass blues played on one.
                  https://soundcloud.com/david-goethe/tracks

Dave's ,YouTube channel

Comment

Ha, it's a great sound, and it really cuts through a mix- why the angst? Is it because it's trendy? Or that it's a simple instrument for new musicians to use? Yes, I know you're being silly on purpose.

I think the thing that somewhat annoys me about the instrument is how so many people go into that default shuffle groove when they play one- janka janka jinka jinka etc etc etc....... That odious, ubiquitous Tears on My Pillow chord progression notwithstanding, rhythmic cliches grate on me more than melodic ones.

Maybe if you're on that trip, you've sinned
                    Last edited by sharkbait; 01-05-2017, 10:32 PM. Reason: reworded a very innocuous profanity- whatever, HC!

Comment

I have 2 pretty decent ones but bought this one to take with me to My place in Puerto Rico in February..
                      not bad for the money..http://www.lunaguitars.com/query?upc=819998044916
                      64.95..cheap little gig bag thrown in..if it self destructs in the heat..so be it.

I'll be singing ' Hey soul sister, ain't that Mr. Mister on the raid- eee -o ..'.
                      on the beach in Rincón with a cold Medallia, an empanadilla and my pale Gringo toes in the sand...
                      Last edited by Luke17; 01-06-2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Ha, just remembered a uke joke we played on someone: an arch-hipster friend had an idea for an arrangement of a Scott Walker song, so we set up a living room acoustic session to record it. Everyone else got there ahead of her, and just to mess with her, quickly figured out an all-ukulele version of You're A Grand Old Flag, which we played in an endless loop as she arrived.

Her expression told us it worked.

I guess I should add that we live in San Francisco. Patriotic songs and Scott Walker sessions are sort of coagulants.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkbait View Post
                          Ha, it's a great sound, and it really cuts through a mix- why the angst? Is it because it's trendy? Or that it's a simple instrument for new musicians to use? Yes, I know you're being silly on purpose.
                          I guess it's because it's associated with music that has nothing to do with rock, electronic, etc. so I just assumed it wouldn't work in that context. But your comment about "stereotyped" rhythms is spot-on. Once I started strumming it the way I would rhythm guitar or block chords, then all that mattered was the timbre, and it fit.

Comment

Okay, further ukulele ignorance reduction at my end...I'm using a Soprano ukulele.I found out the difference when I broke a couple strings, and needed to figure out what kind of replacements to get

For those with ukes...does this mean that in order to get the FUX (Full Ukulele Xperience) I also need to get a baritone and tenor uke?

Comment

Originally posted by davd_indigo View Post
                              One word: sonic color. OK two words. I have a baritone uke and love the sound. The bad image has to do with music people associate with the instrument. Thinking about the lap steel, there's been the general image of Hawaiian music. But I've also heard some kick ass blues played on one.
                              If I get a uke, I think I want a baritone, or whatever the next smaller (concert? tenor?) size is. Anything too small is bound to be a tuning nightmare for me...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
                              X