Cloud for Audio?

• CMS Author

Backup? Or conveniently accessable storage? I wouldn't use The Cloud to back up my Justin Bieber collection.

But it's convenient for accessing a working copy for projects as you describe, as long as you have a real backup on something that you can pick up, look at, and verify that it's got what you expect stored in it. Dropbox is probably as good as any of them.

• Members

The "cloud" is nothing but marketing speech that means you store your stuff on somebody elses server. That also means you are at their mercy for how well they store your data, both from a security standpoint and a longevity standpoint.

Like Mike said, if you are using it to move files from one work location to somewhere else, its not bad. But my backup is on a portable hard drive that I plug into the computer when it is time to make a backup and is unplugged from the system when I am done.

• Members
The "cloud" is nothing but marketing speech that means you store your stuff on somebody elses server.

But look on the bright side...it's honest marketing speech. A cloud kinda drifts along for a while, it might even take on some kind of shape, and then it eventually disappears.

Mike, as to not storing your Justin Bieber collection...does this mean you haven't stored your autographed picture of him there, either?

The cloud is great for collaboration, especially (as weird as this might sound) collaborating with myself. If I come up with something cool at home, I can dump it on there and then if I need it at Gibson, I'm good. Also, when I'm going to do seminars or workshops, I store the PowerPoints and audio examples in the cloud. I also have them on a USB stick or optical media, but it's nice to know that wherever I am, I can download in a pinch.

I'm using OneDrive but as far as I can tell, they're all more or less the same.

• Members

But look on the bright side...it's honest marketing speech. A cloud kinda drifts along for a while, it might even take on some kind of shape, and then it eventually disappears.

Mike, as to not storing your Justin Bieber collection...does this mean you haven't stored your autographed picture of him there, either?

The cloud is great for collaboration, especially (as weird as this might sound) collaborating with myself. If I come up with something cool at home, I can dump it on there and then if I need it at Gibson, I'm good. Also, when I'm going to do seminars or workshops, I store the PowerPoints and audio examples in the cloud. I also have them on a USB stick or optical media, but it's nice to know that wherever I am, I can download in a pinch.

I'm using OneDrive but as far as I can tell, they're all more or less the same.

I have a studio in 2 different locations just for myself. Then there are collaborators. I`m looking for a solution (someone else`s server) where I can upload/download large files. Any recommendations?

Right now I`m operating with the old/portable hard drive but I would love to have all my files on a cloud service as well. Any suggestions?

For awhile I was using Google...

Archived