Need setup/hookup help STAT!!

ft13

• Members

Hi everyone. Let me first start of with saying i apologize in advance for the length of this post. Ill try to sum up everything as short as possible.

So, on saturday, i picked up a new Korg Electribe 2. I was excited and immediately popped in 6 AA batteries and my headphones and played with it in the car. When i came home and plugged it in and i was getting no audio. Odd, i thought. So, i plugged in a keyboard (Roland JP8000) and i STILL got no audio.

So, i started breaking my setup down to figure out where the culprit lies. Here was my basic setup:

-Yamaha Msp5a near field monitors via XLR to the main outs on my Motu 828mk3 interface

-Motu to mac mini via firewire cable

-Electribe (again) to front input

Still no audio.

I see the signal on the Motu, however, so its getting a signal, just no audio coming out of my near fields.

So, i gave up and went to a local pawn store and bought a Behringer mixer to bypass the computer setup altogether and go all hardware.

Plugged in the power to the mixer, plugged in my near fields via XLR to the main outs on the mixer then plugged in my Electribe to the first input on the mixer.

Still no audio.

Swap out the Electribe for my guitar.

Still no audio.

Swapped out 1/4" cables.

Still no audio.

Now, im losing my mind!!!

I know my near fields are fine because when i setup the way i had it to the Motu, i can play movies, watch Youtube, listen to music without issue.

What am i doing wrong here???

Can anyone tell me what im hooking up wrong? Im pretty damn sure ive got everything properly setup, but im going to pull all my hair out!!!

Please, if you can, help!!!!

-Sin

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum

• Members

Hmmm....so you start at a sound source which you know is outputting a signal (electric or Electribe or keyboard). Check.

And you know signal is being received by your Motu interface as you can see the meters or lights move around when receiving signal. Check.

So the signal is just not making it to the XLR monitor outs on your Motu, seems clear enough to me.

If your signal coming into the Motu is from your computer (Youtube, etc.) then your Motu sends that signal on to the Motu outs. But when the Motu sees signal from a non-computer source, it's not sending it on to the XLR monitor outs.

I don't know your Motu interface - if there is a software routing program, that's where I would look.

Your experiment with the standalone mixer doesn't really give you information about your computer/Motu/monitor setup. It could be a separate, unrelated issue that's keeping you from getting output to your monitors from the Behringer. You've tried two sets of monitor cables, and you know the speakers work.

So unless I'm missing something, it has to be in the Motu setup, wherever it is you configure the routing of signal from source to the monitors. It's set up to route signal from the Mac on through to the outs, but not to route signal from audio inputs on through to the outs. Have you read through the manual?

Probably tomorrow you'll figure it out and smack your forehead - when I'm all tied up in knots over this kind of thing, I have to take a break and come back to it later....

best of luck

nat whilk ii

• CMS Author

Can you connect your speakers directly to the outputs of the drum machine? Does that work? I can't explain why replacing your MOTU interface with a mixer doesn't work other than that the pawn shop mixer is broken or you don't know how to operate it.

All of those interfaces have some sort of mixer built in and it's possible that you have something routed incorrectly there. Do you get audio from the headphone outputs of the MOTU? It's possible that you don't have the MOTU's internal routing set to monitor the input, or maybe you do and the level control for those channels is turned all the way down,

These things have so many ways to not get sound out that you need to check them all.

I agree with Mike - try plugging the outputs of the Korg directly into the 1/4" inputs on the Yamaha and see if you get sound that way. If you do, the issue is somewhere in the routing inside your MOTU (mixer app?), and the pawnshop mixer is either being used incorrectly or is not working properly.

• CMS Author

Just grabbing at straws here, but you mentioned using XLR cables to connect the Electribe to the interface. The only pictures I can find of any Electribe on the web don't have XLR connectors, only 1/4" phone jacks, though they're clearly labeled "Audio out."

Archived