Surfing might be killing your SSD

1001gear

• Members

Not into gluttony but here's some har bingeing. Apparently just browsing requires your browser to constantly write backup data in case it or the OS crashes. This constant refreshing can exceed the daily write allowance of your SSD. I haven't yet checked up on the severity of this but the fix detailed here for Firefox is pretty simple.

https://www.servethehome.com/firefox-is-eating-your-ssd-here-is-how-to-fix-it/

Not into gluttony but here's some har bingeing. Apparently just browsing requires your browser to constantly write backup data in case it or the OS crashes. This constant refreshing can exceed the daily write allowance of your SSD. I haven't yet checked up on the severity of this but the fix detailed here for Firefox is pretty simple.

https://www.servethehome.com/firefox-is-eating-your-ssd-here-is-how-to-fix-it/

Thanks for the tip - I changed mine to ten minute intervals on the backup and will see how that works...

• Members

Can't hurt certainly to make some tweaks to lower writes to SSDs, but for most folks, the "danger" of too many writes is very low indeed.

Also, just to be picky - there's not really a "daily allowance" of writes to solid state drives - there's an estimated lifetime limit that translates into a daily amount if you make some assumptions about how long a lifespan the drive will have.

I've read in numerous well-respected sites that for most folks, SSDs will fail first from reasons other than too many writes.

But it could happen to some really heavy users, admitted.

nat whilk ii

• Members
I just had a look at this today. Is the browser.sessionstore.interval in units of milliseconds? Mine' date=' as it comes, is 15000.[/quote']

Yup 15 whole seconds. My drive is only 120Gs and entry level at that. Horrifying. I set it at a minute or two as a feeler. Phil O, 10 minutes. So far Firefox and Windows locked up completely and I had to shut down with the power button but that's all and not really attributable to the new setting and it was just the one time although I have noticed that switching through a lot of tabs may not be as crisp and a couple times I did a manual refresh which seemed to set things back on track.

Archived