Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as a Hard Drive Hub?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such a thing as a Hard Drive Hub?

I have 5 external HDs all with Firewire 800 ports... I`d like to be able to access them all and copy files from one to the other... however, my iMac only has one Firewire 800 port. So I have to constantly shut down one HD, disconnect, connect another HD and start it up, etc... its annoying.

I need a workaround... is there such a thing as Firewire hub? If not, any solutions you can think of?

Thanks,
    E

There might be a powered drive cage for RAID configurations that would work for swapping drives.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

You don't heed a hard drive hub (and as far as I know there really isn't such a thing), you need a Firewire hub. NitroAV has one with 8 ports for $160, about the price of a decent packaged Firewire drive. If the drives were in USB cases, you could do the job with a $15 powered USB hub, and if they were raw drives, you could get a multi-drive enclosure.

--
      "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
      Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Don't know if your Mac is old enough to accept cards, but I added a Firewire card with more I/O when I ran into the same problem years ago..
        Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post
          You don't heed a hard drive hub (and as far as I know there really isn't such a thing), you need a Firewire hub. NitroAV has one with 8 ports for $160, about the price of a decent packaged Firewire drive. If the drives were in USB cases, you could do the job with a $15 powered USB hub, and if they were raw drives, you could get a multi-drive enclosure.

Thanks Mike. That may be the way to go. Just read through the reviews, some good some bad... I may have to bite because right now the current workflow is suffering for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post
            Don't know if your Mac is old enough to accept cards, but I added a Firewire card with more I/O when I ran into the same problem years ago..
            I`m using an iMac...

Comment

Then it looks like Mike has the solution.
              Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley View Post

Thanks Mike. That [Nitro Firewire hub] may be the way to go. Just read through the reviews, some good some bad... I may have to bite because right now the current workflow is suffering for it.
                That's typical of reviews.

Now that I think of it, it used to be that Firewire drive cases had two ports, specifically for the purpose of daisy-chaining multiple drives. It's a bus, and you can have eight devices on the bus. Your computer counts as one, so you could hook up seven drives. Take another look at your drives and see if they have two ports. I'm not sure if they did this with Firewire 800, but If so, all you need is cables.

--
                "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

I've daisy-chained external FW hard drives together before and it's worked perfectly fine, although I would prefer a hub.

Read this about the order that one daisy-chains the devices in the event that it applies to you: http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...use-400-speeds
                  Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

I`ve read that daisy chaining is not ideal. I`m avoiding it. I think the hub is the best way to go right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X