Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• psst... tell ya what....

https://www.extremetech.com/internet...ct-two-friends

diabolical.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

It's like that movie It Follows, with less STDs.
    .com/

Comment

Watch what you click on folks, and be aware that there are non-infectious ransomware JavaScript popups out on the web too - you're not actually infected, but the popup will tell you that you are and try to get you to do things that could lead to an infection and could end up costing you.

Like the man said - diabolical.

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove...t-scam-popups/

http://macreports.com/critical-secur...-infected-fix/

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I like the solution of setting up two virtual machines, infecting them, getting your data back, then wiping the virtual machines. Although I like the solution of sending 2 kilovolts down their cable connection better.
        N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post
          I like the solution of setting up two virtual machines, infecting them, getting your data back, then wiping the virtual machines. Although I like the solution of sending 2 kilovolts down their cable connection better.
          You didn't read the fine print:

"If you can get two other people to install that file — thus encrypting their files — and pay the ransom, you get your files decrypted for free."

Unless you could un-ransom the virtual machines with virtual money (but isn't that what Bitcoin is?).
          --
          "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
          Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

If nothing else, it should serve as a reminder of the importance of great back-ups. Worst case, you lose a day or two of work - painful, but not the complete catastrophe it would be if you didn't have uninfected backups. And if they are so diabolical as to not trip the alarm until a few days after infection (so as to infect your backups too) you have your weekly backup copy to revert to.

What? You mean most people don't do daily backups, plus weekly and monthly backups that they keep off-site?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

This mass communication stuff is exactly that. It's the mother of all party lines.

Comment

The newish Neal Stephenson novel, Reamde has as a central part of the plot, a ransomware program that's stolen something from some very, very bad people.....recommended. Sort of sci-fi, but it's a future that pretty much already exists. Very amusing read and a smashing yarn.

nat whilk ii

Comment

• 1001gear
                  1001gear commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ruh Roh the movie.

Well after reading all the posts in this thread...I didn't click on the link...Call me chicken, but this PC is only a few months old and I'd like to keep it in it's current bug free state.

There are limits to my curiosity.

http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Your caution is warranted. It's a legit site obviously but what's that supposed to mean? Anyway the title reads: New ransomware offers to restore your files for free — if you infect two friends

lol. Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                  X