Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: "Classic" band that you just cannot stand?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: "Classic" band that you just cannot stand?

For me its The Doors, hands down. Between JM's drunken mewl, his pseudo-poetry lyrical meanderings, Ray's stiff-@$$ playing with the hideous Vox organ sound, and Krieger's cringe-worthy guitaring, its just a horror show for me. Densmore's alright though, dude was a good swingin' drummer.

Then there's their love for Kurt Veil. Oh and no bass.

Go...
    Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

That`s a tough one..maybe Yes? Yes the band.

-I used to go through my dads record collection when I was a kid, playing every one. I`m talking like before I was 8 because that`s when he left. I put on a Yes record and almost puked. The Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and Blind Faith records(amongst many more) were just fine to my ears.
    Last edited by redEL34; 12-03-2016, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redEL34 View Post
      That`s a tough one..maybe Yes? Yes the band.

I can dig that. I'm not a huge fan. I refer to it as "Elf music". Jethro Tull is "Dwarf Music".

But I love love LOVE Bill Bruford. Some of the drumming on the early Yes records is just astounding, and saves it from being stiff as hell. Basically I can listen to Bruford & Squire all day, and the rest of them get on my nerves. The writing is also often terrible, both music and lyrics. My friend used to describe it as the "Jon Anderson peyote & OJ in the morning school of lyric writing"

My favorite Yes is actually a cover:

From 0 to 2:15, its typical Yes overblown pseudo-classical bombast. But at 2:15 it really takes off, and you can hear just how much of a Chet Atkins fanboy Steve Howe really is

You can also see a super cool vintage console towards the end of the video
      Last edited by Red Ant; 12-03-2016, 11:11 PM.
      Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

I can dig that. I'm not a huge fan. I refer to it as "Elf music". Jethro Tull is "Dwarf Music".

But I love love LOVE Bill Bruford. Some of the drumming on the early Yes records is just astounding, and saves it from being stiff as hell. Basically I can listen to Bruford & Squire all day, and the rest of them get on my nerves. The writing is also often terrible, both music and lyrics. My friend used to describe it as the "Jon Anderson peyote & OJ in the morning school of lyric writing"

My favorite Yes is actually a cover:

From 0 to 2:15, its typical Yes overblown pseudo-classical bombast. But at 2:15 it really takes off, and you can hear just how much of a Chet Atkins fanboy Steve Howe really is

Yeah I`ll add Jethro Tull(whatever that means) to the mix. I like the 6 note Aqualung riff and that`s it.

Comment

There's no such thang as good prog rock, it all sucked. All souless incessant noodling. Ok end of rant.

The Doors were the 60's. F...ing awesomely good and bad but always interesting
          I'm not a rookie

Comment

Originally posted by ohmygod View Post
            There's no such thang as good prog rock, it all sucked. All souless incessant noodling. Ok end of rant.

The Doors were the 60's. F...ing awesomely good and bad but always interesting

That`s kind of what my dad would tell me if he was drunk and blasting something horrible like Yes.."Oh they were great in their day"
            Last edited by redEL34; 12-03-2016, 11:45 PM.

Comment

The Stones. It's mostly Mick Jagger as the front man I don't care for. I'm not really into the garage band sound either. Jagger is an image I don't want stuck in my head. He looks like Gollum from Lord of the Rings. It could be worse. I could have said the Beatles.
              <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Music is well said to be the speech of angels... nothing among the utterances allowed to man is felt to be so divine."

~Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Originally posted by Beck View Post
                The Stones. It's mostly Mick Jagger as the front man I don't care for. I'm not really into the garage band sound either. Jagger is an image I don't want stuck in my head. He looks like Gollum from Lord of the Rings. It could be worse. I could have said the Beatles.

You think Jagger looks like Gollum? Try Steve Howe

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

• jorhay1
                  jorhay1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  To be fair that's a photoshopped picture of Howe with make up.
                  Try this:

Also,
                  He's more Crypt Keeper than Gollum.

led zeppelin, that girl's voice is so annoying
                {O,O}
                (__(\
                " "

Comment

• Red Ant
                  Red Ant commented
                  Editing a comment

Yeah, I guess we could find a few of them. Jagger moves like Gollum. Maybe not so much his face but his stage persona... basically a walking corpse that refuses to accept he is dead. And that's been as long as can remember, so it's not simply because he's aging.
                Last edited by Beck; 12-04-2016, 01:03 AM.
                <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Music is well said to be the speech of angels... nothing among the utterances allowed to man is felt to be so divine."

~Thomas Carlyle

Comment

There is so much classic rock I couldn't stand back in the day, and the same holds for the present. I was so glad when that era was over.. . . a bunch of sh!t music. Here's a partial list to start.

Stones
                  The (Sh!t) Band
                  Doobie (Smeg-For-Brains) Brothers
                  Doors
                  Aerosmith
                  Pink Floyd
                  Eagles
                  Donovan
                  Todd (Fookhead) Rundgren
                  Electric Light (bulb up your ass) Orchestra
                  Jackson (Sh!tface) Browne
                  Bob Seger
                  Moody Blues
                  Procol Harem
                  Paul Simon
                  Simon and Garfunkle
                  KISS
                  Steely Dan
                  Janis Joplin
                  Tom Petty and Heartbreakers
                  Greatful Dead
                  Van Morrison
                  Paul McCartney
                  CCR
                  Fleetwood Mac
                  John Lennon
                  Bob Dylan
                  The Who
                  The Beatles

. . . any kind of crappy folk or disco music.
                  Originally posted by MrKnobs
                  God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

• arcadesonfire
                    arcadesonfire commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gangsta rap fan.

• Minning Around
                    Minning Around commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lemme take a wild guess too. Conservative. Hates Hippies. Hates drugs. Hates sex.

• MDMachiavelli
                    MDMachiavelli commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's the issues with liberals Minning Around, always trying to put people in a box. I know many conservatives that like most if not all of the bands listed.

one of my favorite phrases

I often ask my wife

do you love me ?? ----YES

can you stand me ??-------NO

__________-------------------------------------__________________________---------------
                  "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." ---Albert Einstein

What is more liberal than this ?? )
                  We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union ...

Comment

I never liked the doors either.
                    i like palin.
                    i think she would rattle some cages and that's what america needs.
                    ~ yumpy

Comment

RIDERS ON THE STORM is all time !! )

a more interesting question for me is !! ( :

Does Duality exponentially decrease as bands increase membership from 2 to 3 to 4 ... (et al !! )

towards Homogeneity ?? ) :shrug:

can you stand me ?? )

__________-------------------------------------__________________________---------------
                      "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." ---Albert Einstein

What is more liberal than this ?? )
                      We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union ...

Comment

Fleetwood Mac. The worst thing about them is Stevie Nicks' whiny vocals. I also have a special dislike for the Steve Miller Band. When they sing ''Jet Airliner,'' the ''liner'' part rhymes with ''rhino'' as in ''jet air-lino.'' It just grates on my nerves.
                        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                        Member of the Schecter Society
                        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

• arcadesonfire
                          arcadesonfire commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah. I never listened or liked them much on my own. My friends roped me into doing a Rumours cover last halloween, and it was fun cuz I got to use my Traynor for classic crunchy tones... and even though I never really liked the songs, turns out that I already had the solos memorized in my head from years of overplay on classic rock radio. The strange thing was hearing that all these kids currently in their mid 20s were huge fans! My parents were stuck on Bob Dylan and Motown. 10 years younger and the kids' parents all listened to coked out folk rock.

• Grumpy_Polecat
                          Grumpy_Polecat commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Try them BEFORE they were overrun by Buckingham/Nicks.
                          Last edited by Grumpy_Polecat; 12-06-2016, 07:47 PM.

Working...
                      X