Recording Unhinged - Sylvia Massy

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

There's a short review of this book posted here already. If you haven't bought it already and want to read my long winded review with pictures, sidebars, and eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back, vist the Book Reviews page of my web site, or download it directly from here:

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr...ged_review.pdf

Or leave a copy of this message laying around and maybe somebody you know will get you a copy for Christmas. You deserve it.

• CMS Author

Sorry for not acknowledging you in my post, Chris. I remember reading a review here but couldn't remember who posted it and it isn't very easy to search on this forum.

Man, if I lived only 20 minutes from her, I'd probably be knocking on her door a couple of times a week wanting to borrow this or that. She certainly has, or has had, a lot of cool stuff, hopefully ready to patch in when she's mixing in her own studio.

A couple of days after I finished up this review, my January issue of Recording Magazine showed up with a short review of the book by Paul Vnuk tied in with an interview with her. She says she has a second volume planned, with plenty of more wacky ideas. One trick she described in that interview was putting a hunk of raw potato in series with each lead between a guitar amplifier and its speaker. I'll have to set that one up and run some measurements.

In an on-line chat, she mentioned that she might be working with a software developer on a set of vegetable plug-ins. I think I might apply to be her technical editor for Volume 2.

• CMS Author
This book is about $20 on Amazon for a new copy.

That's a good deal. At first I thought that you ordered one of the coloring books by mistake. They're $19.95. But I checked and sure enough: http://tinyurl.com/h37yx92

Get 'em while they're hot, folks. Amazon also has a few copies of the book listed for around $100. Maybe those copies include an autographed garden hose or some certified piano fragments from the Tool session.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I purchased the book from Amazon. No, not the $100 version. :D It's a really good read so far, talking about approaches, abusing gear, with tons of different perspectives from different engineers and producers on almost every page so far. Fun read, obviously geared mostly toward rock and so forth, with a heavy love of old vintage gear.

Archived