Roland Octa-capture and MacOS problem

dboomer

• Members

Is anyone besides me having any issues getting the new Mac Sierra operating system to play nice with the Roland Octa-Capture interface? I have removed the old driver and installed Roland's new driver (with the proper updated Octa-Capture firmware) but cannot get the Audio-Midi program to find it. I have even reinstalled the new driver several time along with removing the old driver first. Running rescan still doesn't find the interface although the Roland unit confirms that it is connected to USB. I have also tried every combination of turning one thing on before the other as well as numerous Mac reboots.

Anyone have any other ideas to try?

• Members

I can't comment on your exact hardware & OS version, but I did have huge (YUGE I tell ya!) troubles with El Capitan. Every Mac OS "upgrade" causes dozens or hundreds of hardware interfaces to become obsolete due to driver issues. My musical partner (who I was working on this stuff for) has decided to dump the Mac and go back to PCs. I bought him a six pack of pale ale to celebrate the decision, as I'm no fan of Apple.

• CMS Author
I did have huge (YUGE I tell ya!) troubles with El Capitan. Every Mac OS "upgrade" causes dozens or hundreds of hardware interfaces to become obsolete due to driver issues. My musical partner (who I was working on this stuff for) has decided to dump the Mac and go back to PCs.

My, how times have changed. Used to be that whenever someone had a problem with music production software running on a PC, the popular solution was "Get a Mac!"

Reminds me of a fortune cookie fortune I got once that read: "Progress consists of trading old problems for new."

• Members

OK ... solved the problem. I believe there is a driver issue. To fix I disabled the system integration protection using Terminal.

The driver must be asking for root permissions in the wrong location.

Disabling puts the root permissions in the old place.

• Members

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

And, actually, this sort of thing happens on PCs now too. I had to permanently put my PC into 'Test Mode' so it would allow me to use the 64 bit driver for my Terratec audio interface with Win 7.

All it consists of is a way for the OS maker to charge 'royalties' to register a new or upgraded driver. I'm sort of surprised they (Apple & MS) haven't disabled the ability to bypass it. But doing so would enrage and alienate a huge number of people who could never get most of their peripherals to work again, so it's possible they have enough common sense to keep from cutting their own legs off, so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived