Any reason for NOT getting big monitors?

EdgarDavid

• Members

Hi... new here with this username but a member since 15 years ago or so :-)

After several years away from music I am starting to put together a small studio. And I mean little tiny winy small studio :-) Mainly to produce some stock music and maybe some mixing works... and of course to have fun :-)

I fell in love with the KRK 10 3 monitors.... big a** huge monitors. I have a really small room now, non treated yet of course... And it is not about the volume, I just fell in love by the sound and how because of the size if you use them as near fields you really get surrounded by the sound... I listened to them at the store which is a really big showroom... So, any good reason not to get this huge monitors for a small room? is it worst acoustically or it doesn't matter since you are using them at the same volume anyway?

I'm very familiar with those speakers - I recently reviewed them. They're very impressive, but as I said in the Limitations section, they may be a bit much for some smaller rooms.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/krk-rokit-10-3-g3-studio-monitors

How small of a room are you planning on putting them into?

Are you planning on running them at a reasonable volume level in a nearfield arrangement? If so, you can probably make them work just fine, assuming you have enough physical space for them. I wouldn't recommend them in a midfield configuration or running them really loud in a small room - under those circumstances they're far more likely to excite the room modes, which could accentuate any low frequency issues inherent in the small space.

Oh, and as far as your user name, drop me a PM with your old one, and if you'd like, I can see about getting it restored for you. :):wave:

• CMS Author
Monitor sound quality is 2% electronics, 10% monitors and 88% acoustics. Best bang for the buck is fixing acoustics...

That's not entirely true. I have no idea how you got your numbers, so I won't quibble with them, but poor monitors still sound poor in a good room. The difference with the good room, though, is that you can better hear how poor they sound.

• Members
Are you planning on running them at a reasonable volume level in a nearfield arrangement? If so' date=' you can probably make them work just fine, assuming you have enough physical space for them. I wouldn't recommend them in a midfield configuration or running them really loud in a small room - under those circumstances they're far more likely to excite the room modes, which could accentuate any low frequency issues inherent in the small space.[/quote']

+1 on all of this. I think the 10-3 speakers sound phenomenal, but I like to "open up" speakers to their sweet spot, which correlates somewhat to level (within the constraints Phil mentions above). If you need to have the speakers up close and not extremely loud, KRK's V-Series 4 speakers are coming out soon, and they're phenomenal. Based on the initial posts, I think the 6" models with acoustical treatment might be ideal.

Archived