Music Business Is Making Money Again

Mandolin Picker

• Members

From CNet

"US sales from streaming music were up 8.1 percent to $3.4 billion in the first six months of 2016 compared with the same period last year, a music industry trade group said Tuesday. In the first half of 2015, revenue was down 0.5 percent.

"This shift marks the best growth since the late 1990s, according to a Recording Industry Association of America report (pdf).

"Consumers have been moving away from buying music outright to paying for tunes with an all-you-can-eat subscriptions. Those $10 monthly memberships -- from the likes of Spotify, Apple Music and Tidal -- have reached enough scale to drive the recording industry's best growth since the height of the CD. The first half of 2016 averaged more than 18.3 million music subscriptions, doubling the 9.1 million reported at the same time last year, the group said."

Full article at https://www.cnet.com/news/spotify-apple-music-lift-us-music-industry-to-best-growth-in-years/

• CMS Author

"Consumers have been moving away from buying music outright to paying for tunes with an all-you-can-eat subscriptions. Those $10 monthly memberships -- from the likes of Spotify, Apple Music and Tidal -- have reached enough scale to drive the recording industry's best growth since the height of the CD. The first half of 2016 averaged more than 18.3 million music subscriptions, doubling the 9.1 million reported at the same time last year, the group said."

Oy! such a business! Somebody is making money there, but I'll bet it's not anybody who is actually making, writing, arranging, or composing music.

• Members

For the music business, this should be very good news, for music fans, not so much. As music 'fans' are no longer 'buying' music but rather 'renting' music, the music business has a steady income stream. This seems to be following the same pattern that we have seen with things like 'NetFlix' which moves the user away from ownership. Whether it is music, movies, books, cars or houses, it will ultimately be a bad thing for the average consumer, as it puts too much control (and power) in the hands of a few.

For the music business' date=' this should be very good news, for music fans, not so much. As music 'fans' are no longer 'buying' music but rather 'renting' music, the music business has a steady income stream. This seems to be following the same pattern that we have seen with things like 'NetFlix' which moves the user away from ownership. Whether it is music, movies, books, cars or houses, it will ultimately be a bad thing for the average consumer, as it puts too much control (and power) in the hands of a few.[/quote']

But while many fans don't realize it, this has always been the case. We've never "owned" the music; we just license it. The same was true during the CD and vinyl eras.

• Members

True, but you licensed a physical copy. You had music you could play, when you wanted to, as often as you wanted to. Streaming services will play what they want you to listen to.

Its like movies on NetFlix versus DVD copies. I have some movies that I want to watch that aren't on NetFlix. I own the DVD (which grants a license to watch the content), therefore I can watch it whenever. While I understand what you are saying reference license versus ownership, there is a difference between owning a CD and a subscription to a streaming service, and it has everything to do with control.

Archived