One of the giants of analog synthesis has passed on - Don Buchla

UstadKhanAli

• CMS Author

Last time I saw Don Buchla at a NAMM show, he was working with alternate (not keyboard) controllers. Lightning had two wireless hand-held wands that were gesture-sensitive and talked to a box that translates gestures to MIDI control messages. Thunder was a touch-sensitive multi-key pad. He also had the Piano Bar, a clamp-on accessory to get MIDI out of a standard piano.

• Members

Very sad. Given his illness, it was just a matter of time...so it's not as much of a shock. But that doesn't make it any more welcome, particularly because of the issues that revolved around trying to revive the Buchla line. I'm still not sure where that stands at the moment. It would have been great to see his legacy revived for real before his death.

At this point the modern-day synthesizer is over 50 years old...the pioneers are all getting up there in years. So I find it very encouraging to see so many people from younger generations re-discovering analog synths, patch cords, and giving a second look to digital synths like the DX7. I'm sure people will look back in 2066 at the passing of the pioneers who are being formed today...and who stand on the shoulders of giants like Moog and Buchla.

Archived