Are you ready for 5G wireless?

10 gigabits of data… per second. :eekphil: That could be a real game-changer for high-definition music streaming. Not to mention for 3D video and immersive virtual reality...

What do you see as the future of mobile once speeds go that high? What would you like to be able to do with the technology?

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601994/5g-wireless-is-coming-and-its-going-to-blow-you-away/

• Members

The main challenge I see is having 10 gigabits of data ... per second as costing a fortune under the current plans. Most Euro plans (as Europe is so far ahead of the US in cell technology) have true unlimited (no throttle back) plans. Most in Europe use the phone for everything now.

Us ... not so much. (yet).

A phone as described with a true unlimited data plan would be a game changer. IMHO

D

• CMS Author
10 gigabits of data… per second. :eekphil: That could be a real game-changer for high-definition music streaming. Not to mention for 3D video and immersive virtual reality...

What do you see as the future of mobile once speeds go that high?

New phone contracts with unlimited data, calls, and a free phone with a 42" diagonal screen, all for $500/month.

It's a bit ridiculous isn't it Don? I pay north of two hundred dollars a month for cable and internet… I have a fairly fast (80mbps up/down) FiOS pipe which somewhat takes the sting out of it, but it's still slower than what the South Koreans have, and more expensive too. I have always felt we could do a lot better, and speed and increased bandwidth are going to be crucial for the future. To see the big bump in speed coming from wireless is a bit of a surprise, but it shouldn't have been in retrospect - mobile is where everything has been headed for quite some time now, so I really shouldn't have been surprised to see innovations happening there.

The big question is… what are we going to do with all that speed and bandwidth? It will be interesting to see how people utilize it and what new innovations arise from the new capabilities.

• CMS Author

The big question is… what are we going to do with all that speed and bandwidth? It will be interesting to see how people utilize it and what new innovations arise from the new capabilities.

They'll be able to download 1000 pictures faster than ever.

Me, I'm trying to find an inexpensive Andrioid phone that supports USB OTG so I can write a scathing article about the sad state of audio for Andrioid devices. It seems to be reserved for those who get a new phone every year or two as part of an expensive phone plan.

I'm not an Android user (iPhone guy) but I thought I had read something not too long ago that said they were finally making improvements in terms of audio and MIDI on that platform. Did that turn out to not be the case, or were there some other issues that weren't addressed or… ? :idk:

• CMS Author
I'm not an Android user (iPhone guy) but I thought I had read something not too long ago that said they were finally making improvements in terms of audio and MIDI on that platform. Did that turn out to not be the case, or were there some other issues that weren't addressed or… ?

It's still pretty much a secret. The Big Thing of a couple of years ago was the Samsung Professional Audio system which offers input-to-output latency on the order of 10 ms (on good days, downwind). But it's only offered on a handful of phones, so there are only a handful of apps that take advantage of it. IK Multimedia has a couple of Amplitube processors that'll let you play your guitar through the phone pretty well, but there aren't any multitrack recording apps yet that are of, say, Reaper quality.

But in order to get into the game without going through the phone's analog hardware, you need to go in through the USB port, and you need one that supports OTG (this allows the phone to act as a host to an outboard device like an audio interface, MIDI keyboard, or USB microphone), and from my research this week, this seems to be limited to just a handful of high end phones, not all of which also have the Pro Audio extensions.

iOS has been doing this for years. The only trick there is that they keep changing the I/O port so your hardware can't keep up with the new phone you get every year or two.

I'm gonna start a new thread on why you'd want to do pro-sorta recording with a phone anyway.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

"10 gigabits of data… per second" too fast.

3D video waitting for me :D

Xưởng may gia công DOSI -Chuyên may gia công đồ sỉ quần Jeans, quần Khaki, các loại đồng phục công ty, học sinh tại TPHCM

Địa Chỉ: 149/14 Nguyễn Duy Cung P.12 Gò Vấp Tphcm

Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/wcy4GKtSuZz

SĐT/Zalo: 0907104459 ( Chị Lan )

Mail: xmds.xuongmaydosi@gmail.com

sogold - sua quat dien - sua bep tu tphcm - The main export products of the company are: vietnam cashew nuts, black soldier fly, frozen seafood, shrimp, prawns, catfish… from Vietnam.

• Members

i work in IT for a mobile operator for almost 15 years now.

what i see is the troubles we as operator have. we have up to 150Mbit/s for your customers and very nice flat rate tariffs and people using it.

main issue is that we need to invest a lot of money so you can use it in every single edge of the country and if a lot of people in one place using it they all get a great bandwidth and user experience.

these theoretical max bandwidths are nice, but mobile reality looks different, all customers share the same radio infrastructure and back bone and there are a lot of bottle necks which slow you down, and 5g will not change this. if you are alone and have your own antenna near by you can use all resources, but once you share, the real bandwidth goes down.

you can argue about if mobile infrastructure is cheaper to built than cable or not, mobile will always be more convenient, but physical resource are expensive and limited, no matter if its cable or radio...

that said, although i have a company phone and everything for free, i have turned of my data service most of the time. the battery lasts much longer and i don't need facebook, email and whats up updates all the time. when i want or need them i always have access to a real computer with a big screen :)

• Members

That's probably coming after the FCC reverse auctions. They are clearing about 100MHz of bandwidth from the TV UHF band that will go to mobile providers. Moving cell service down into the 600MHz range will provide you with service that will penetrate parking garages and thick concrete walls.

Archived