Not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling....

• Members

Today I decided to look into a Windows 10 upgrade on my studio PC. Clicked "Upgrade to Windows 10" on the task bar; Pop up says something like "sorry, your computer can't be upgraded to Windows 10". I clicked 'Read Report' which says something like "congratulations, your computer meets upgrade requirements" and lists all the things it has checked and passed; memory, cpu speed, any incompatible apps, etc. Uhhhh, so which do I believe? The PC in question is a 4 or so year old ADK Pro Audio tower, quad core, 6 GB ram, etc. currently running Win 7.

I'm on the fence about upgrading already, so this isn't helping :-)

• Members

Was Windows 7 an enterprise version, an OEM version bundled with the computer, one you bought yourself, or something else? The free upgrade offer goes away in July 29, so I'd check with Scott at ADK about whether he might have some insights as to whether there's something unusual about your computer. It may be something that's happened with other machines, so he has an answer.

FWIW I held off on upgrading from W7 for as long as I could because a) it worked, and b) I really didn't like Windows 8. Maybe it's because I waited long enough for the bugs to go away, but I really like Windows 10. Snappier audio response, and they got the "tiles" thing right this time. Also, MIDI is multi-client...a very welcome touch.

• Members

Thanks Craig. I checked, and the PC shipped with Vista 64, I installed 7 myself. It's older than I remembered, from 2009. Sent a note to ADK support, will call if I don't hear back soon, since as you noted, it's only free for a couple more days.

btw, I'd read your post on your upgrade experience which gave me the bump to try it myself.

• Members

I can't help you with your problem, Craig seems to have covered that well, but I do concur that Win10 is better.

I put this off until the end of June. I wanted to wait until they got all the kinks out of it and I wanted to give other companies a chance to update their drivers.

Installation went smoothly on one computer, and I had some difficulty on the other two. I had to wipe out everything previously downloaded and start from scratch. I have a flaky DSL connection (lots of errors - thanks AT&T) and something downloading in the background for the past few months got corrupted.

I have a Win7 computer that I will not upgrade (it sits on stage and never goes on-line) and I upgraded three Win8 machines. I like Win10 better than both 7 and 8 and even better than my old XP machine.

I have a 2002 IBM ThinkPad with a Pentium III CPU that also never goes on the 'net but works on stage. It's my backup and gets turned on every night 'just in case'.

I think if you get your machine to upgrade, you'll be fine with Win10.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

so which do I believe? The PC in question is a 4 or so year old ADK Pro Audio tower, quad core, 6 GB ram, etc. currently running Win 7.

The direct route (takes about 20 minutes) to your solution of "how do I change a no-go upgrade to a successful upgrade" is this....

1. For the moment, take out your existing win7 C drive.

2. Put in an unformatted, empty drive to use as a temporary new c drive.

3. Grab the retail windows 7 dvd you bought on your own, and pop it in to do a quick install of windows 7 on the new drive... don't even bother with all the drivers or any old programs. Just install win7 and activate it. Takes what... 15 minutes?

4. Now, on that fresh win7 install, go online and do the upgrade win10 install... complete with activation.

Once successful activation is shown, the upgrade is complete and forever and you can move on to other steps which others or myself can describe here later.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. After googling around, I noted that the Win 10 upgrade requires you to be current on maintenance. I haven't been using my studio PC for awhile, so I was about 6 months behind. I downloaded and applied all maintenance to get current, then downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade assistant from MS. My PC now is listed as compatible and the upgrade has begun to download. We'll see how that goes, took me several tries on my laptop.

thanks once again.

• Members

My upgrade to Windows 10 went smoothly at first. About a week after upgrading I restarted my laptop and was greeted with a screen that said my machine needed to be restored. I had no other choice. I proceeded with the restore and it wiped out my C: drive and put Win 7 back on. Luckily most of my data is stored on other drives. I had to re-install all of my apps.

Even with that issue I attempted Windows 10 again. Second time seems to have worked. Two months have passed with no major problems. My one issue is with my Focusrite Forte. When rebooting the laptop the Forte driver seems to connect and disconnect a few times causing a popping sound in my speakers.This didn't happen with win 7

• Members

Just to follow up; the upgrade completed sometime overnight. Took several hours between the download (hour and a half?) and the actual upgrade. So far everything works, most importantly, Sonar, my UAD1 and M-Audio soundcards, and midi interface.

So far so good.

Archived