Electro Voice ELX112p dies on me here is the problem

oachs83

• Members

At a gig yesterday the speaker died. If you turn it off and then back on it will go on for about two or three seconds. The limit light starts to come on but not fully bright it then makes a very quick high pitch noise then it shuts right off and is dead again. Anyone have this issue with this speaker and if it's a known problem? I took the amp out of the back and do smell "electrical type smell" if that makes sense. Can it be anything on the woofer side? Do I have to tear the front all apart and check those wires? I would rather not tear into this farther if I don't need to and either fix this one or buy a replacement for $250. Thank You

• Members

Update. I went to move the box and when I tilted it upright i heard a noise and I found a 3 prong transistor lying in there. I ordered the 52 cent part with $8 shipping and fingers crossed this is the problem.

• Members

It just broke from the pcb the tapered prongs on the transistor were still soldered in. Much of the electronics on this have a black silicone type covering that I am sure is vibration control. The transistor next to this one is almost completely covered in it. However the broken one barely if at all had any. So I am assuming it vibrated til it broke.

• CMS Author
It just broke from the pcb the tapered prongs on the transistor were still soldered in. Much of the electronics on this have a black silicone type covering that I am sure is vibration control. The transistor next to this one is almost completely covered in it. However the broken one barely if at all had any. So I am assuming it vibrated til it broke.

Looks like they made this transistor easy to replace. That could be a bad omen. ;)

Archived