Blue 2 Blue

Luke17

• Members

He got bent out of shape because Cakewalk posted an article in their blog about The Duke Western, who does cues for TV shows using SONAR. The headline for the article mentioned his doing cues for Duck Dynasty. Cakewalk is owned by Gibson, as is Harmony Central. He felt this constituted an endorsement of Duck Dynasty by Cakewalk/Gibson, and he objected to that. So he left in protest. I think that's a pretty accurate summary.

• Members
If only I could figure out something to post that would offend spammers so much that THEY would leave...

Leave $4 million in cash (small bills) in a brief case at a Namm location of my choosing and I promise you I will solve all the spam problems around here. And if it doesn't work, I promise I'll come back and work the problem again for half price.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think it would be helpful to all concerned with maintaining their political and cultural integrity, for SSS to disclose other Gibson/Cakewalk/Sonar client associations with potentially offensive celebrities- who at the very least, should not be promoted in blog headlines.

I very much doubt B2B or anyone else misses me, but let me say this: He did a great job moderating the songwriter forum. I also liked his music- although somewhat rudimentary and repetitive, those qualities fit his genre and his vocals were "character" without being affected. Too deaf to make out his lyrics but I assume they didn't include glowing references to Duck Dynasty (disclosure: one of my friends now works for that organization, he's the closest thing I know to a rock star- with the exception of local entertainers Inky the Clown and Bingo, both of whom I have opened for on numerous occasions).

• Members

technically he knew a thing or two..pretty impressive musical acumen about past and present artists...

but he was a clueless whitebread going into realms of music where he had no 'bizness'

and yes, his vox sounded 'affected' as well as 'afflicted'.

the guy was whiter than rice, Casper the Friendly Ghost, and processed cane sugar,

yet he tried to sing 'southern' and bluesy' and became a parody of a parody...

an apt musical Sobriquet For him could have been 'Blind Blue Clueless Mensch'

His own recordings?

He had a limited vocal range, no sense of dynamics, no phrasing skills...he just was...'Sucky'...... is that a word?

I think he was a good person at heart...took his aging mom out to tea and the opera and such...and put it in writing, here..on HC....always a treat.......(yawn.)

• Members

Craig, this seems like a good opportunity to revisit the subject of ad hominem, which I seem to recall you speaking out against in the past.

As you know, I've been a fan of your writing for about forty years now. Your work is always informative and often thought provoking. I'm also a fan of you as a human being: your kindness and positive spirit shine through in everything you do.

Because of these traits, I've enjoyed posting in your forums for roughly 20 years now; and while I haven't posted much here lately, I have no intention of stopping for good.

That said, life has been both busy and stressful for me for awhile now; and I find myself posting these days mostly on just one forum—one where there is zero tolerance of personal attacks. The last thing I need these days is for my online experiences to add stress to my life. That forum virtually guarantees a good experience, offering both engaging discussion and a respite from the trying aspects of life. SSS would be the same if not for that one difference.

Now I'm not suggesting you change your forum policies for me; but perhaps I'm not the only one who feels this way, so I'm offering this post as food for thought.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Sounds like everyone lamenting Blue to Blue as dead. He posts some increasingly loopy things over at gs and then deletes a lot of them. But then, hey, so do I. My point? I don't have one. I'm just sittin around the stove in my overalls, reminiscing with the rest of the geezers.

I hope all you guys soon post in your profile whether you eat fish. My hope had been that Harmony Central would require this by now. I hate fish. Won't touch it. Never have. Zero tolerance. And I prefer to visit forums where I'm pretty sure no one eats fish or knows others who do. Life is too short.

Anyway, my condolences re b2b. He was probably a great guy who had useful information for many dozens of youngsters around the net. In fact, maybe I'll go to gs and ask him how great he was when he was alive.

Hey, isn't this the part where in a few days, the deceased returns, re-registers, and is welcomed back by all?

• Members

I am in touch with B2B. He's a great guy, and I value his friendship.

I, like Geoff, do not value the continued personal attacks on him. I would say this even if life weren't stressful.

But also like Geoff, life is stressful and painful quite often (and also fantastic and inspirational, but it's been a lot of stress and pain lately), and I hope not to see argument ad hominem attacks.

Particularly ones that form the basis of a thread.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

You poor, sensitive dears, Ustakhanali and Geoff..

sorry life is so stressful for your delicate constitutions..

'first to fall over when when the atmosphere is less than perfect,

your sensibilities are shaken by the slightest defect,

you live your life like a Canary In A Coal Mine..

you get so dizzy even walking in a straight line'

Buck up, Mates...grow a set! :~}

• Members

I don't believe anyone here ever personally attacked B2B (at least that we know about). We've tried increasingly to thwart those at HC (with the exception of the Political Forum ... which is a hopeless black hole).

Geoff G is correct. There is simply too much in the world to be stressed about right now (and especially right now). This place needs to be a place where we can come together and discuss the thing that that brings us the greatest joy ... music.

B2B is always welcome here and no one wanted to see him go. There are plenty of things these days that can stop and give us pause to wonder. Many places where one can work that makes you scratch your head. When the blog was written that had the info that rubbed Blue the wrong way, it wasn't written with any politically minded rhetoric. It was simply to point out the use of particular gear used to produce music for that (and many other mentioned) show. In life we must choose our battles. Some are worth falling on a sword for and others are things we should just learn from and move on. I call it the F.I.D.O principle (Forget It and Drive On).

D

• Members

Dendy, thanks for your support and efforts to keep this place civil. I'm surprised that you don't consider some of the comments in this thread to be a personal attack on Blue, but perhaps they're relatively tame compared to the posts you weed out.

I suppose comments like the ones I've referred to will be alienating to some and not to others. They alienate me, but I put up with them because this is where Craig posts—and that makes it worth the occasional annoyances. The people who aren't willing to put up with personal attacks probably left long ago; so as far as that's concerned, my feedback is probably too little, too late.

I do miss a lot of the people who used to post here, though. Perhaps they left for other reasons, perhaps not. Either way, I miss them.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Reach out to them and invite them back!

Lots of things have changed - some of the systems are more stable and for certain our focus has shifted back to our core mission of helping people make better music.

As for comments here ... they seem pretty tame and for those who have dealt with B2B here, I think they were meant as gentle fun. Most here would love him back participating. People go through life phases. Perhaps he just needed a little time off.

D

• Members

Under the circumstances—while there are undeniable strengths to this site—I'd only encourage friends with at least a moderately thick skin to return, adding the caveat that evidence of a healthy amygdala is not necessarily a prerequisite for posting here. ;)

Best,

Geoff

• Members
Under the circumstances—while there are undeniable strengths to this site—I'd only encourage friends with at least a moderately thick skin to return, adding the caveat that evidence of a healthy amygdala is not necessarily a prerequisite for posting here. ;)

Best,

Geoff

And when you realize that this site is more civil than most...

Archived