am i average or not?

mbengs1

• Members

I have about 11 instrumental rock guitar records with 10 songs each. then i have one album (10 songs also) that i want to be with vocals. i'm quite happy with everything i've recorded so far. is this normal or not?

I'm not sure I'm understanding the question in the OP.

I don't think the "average" person does any albums... if you've done a dozen albums, you're way ahead of the curve, even for the "average" musician. Instrumental albums are probably also in the minority vs albums with lyrics.

• Members

It takes me an average of two years to complete a recording project.

I don't think we need to concern ourselves with how we fit in with everybody else (average) but instead we should concentrate on doing the best that we can in our effort to serve the music.

• Members

I recall hearing stories about how Paul McCartney had a hard time listening to some of the finished Beatles records because he thought the bass might be out of tune.

If Sir Paul has a problem listening to some of his recorded performances then I doubt that there is any hope for the rest of us.

• Members
I have about 11 instrumental rock guitar records with 10 songs each. then i have one album (10 songs also) that i want to be with vocals. i'm quite happy with everything i've recorded so far. is this normal or not?

I don't know if that is normal or not, but there are some things I've done that I am very proud of, and some things that I really hate to listen to.

• Members

Well, if you look at a certain way, I do an album a week. It is a rather unique album in that it includes pop and choral music, as well instrumental and spoken word. Plus my weekly album has to be perfect, as there are no do-overs or dubbing, and no mastering before it goes out for duplication. Oh, I guess I should also mention that the same audio recording is used for live web-streaming. Is this something that the average recording engineer does?

Well, for some folks it really is. You see, I record our church services every Sunday. They have praise music and traditional choir music. Its not uncommon to have special music, like this past Sunday's trio with two flutes and a piano. Then there is the sermon which goes onto the CD as well. That same audio stream is sent to our video guy who adds it in real time to the video he is doing for the live web stream. And this is separate from the front of house setup that is used for reinforcing the house sound.

Our recording setup is not what would be considered 'state of the art' as we are using a 24-channel analog Allen & Heath board. We have a outboard box that allows us to put some reverb and chorus into the mix. The entire mix goes through a stereo compressor, and finally through a 31-band EQ before it is burned to CD in real time. At the end of the service that CD is finalized and given to our music director for duplication.

The signal coming out of the mixer, before going to the compressor, is split and part of it goes to the computer backup - two tracks (L and R) into Reaper, as a backup.

So are you average? Who knows. For those of us who record our weekly church services, what I described above is typical. Are we above average, average, or below average? Your guess is as good as mine.

It is not important how many albums you have created. It is not important how well you like your music. The others who hear you mix will let you know whether it is any good or not. So average - who cares. The main thing is to enjoy the beauty of the music, and be thankful to be a part of it.

Just my two cents

• Members

I think its pretty clear you`re abnormal. I don`t know too many people that have done 11 instrumental records... none that I can think of.... and you`re happy with everything? Can`t think of any artist that is happy with everything they have done.

The current record I`m working on is in its 10th year of production... its not a master piece, its been an absolute labor to finish. I have written dozens of songs during the past decade and some others have stayed, most have gone... There are times I am completely satisfied with everything and then the next day I want to start from scratch because I`m unhappy with something... hence the 10 years...

This may be my last record so I think I want it to be my best work but I don`t think I`ll ever be satisfied...

Archived