Sharing multi-track wave files with someone for collaboration.

• CMS Author
Trying to access the Wave files I uploaded to Dropbox , the intended recipient got :

"Error: We can't find the location you are looking for."

Do I need to share these 5 project wave files using a zipfile application ?

You should be able to share individual WAV files in Dropbox. They're no different from any other files. I've had trouble, perhaps because of my own misunderstanding, when I've attempted to share files by sending them to someone else's dropbox, or when I've made a special folder in my own Dropbox and set it up so that the other person can share it. I've had 100% success when I copy the full shared link in my Dropbox, send that to the person who I want to get the file, and he downloads it using that link.

I think you have to read and really understand the instructions in order to get the most out of Dropbox. I only use it for one-off things like to give an artist a link to download a recording of his concert.

• Members

I'm not sure exactly what's going on over on his end. AJ, feel free to join the discussion (PLEASE AJ).. I use Dropbox a lot to share quickly recorded piano (for all sorts of purposes) to share with friends, colleagues and family. The first time, I shared 5 DB (from here I'll call dropbox DB) wave files and he had the error file in post #1 above. I did a little googling and found a forum tip saying that it should be zipped, which meshed with Craig's statement about zipping. I tried that too. He did mention something about the an old version of Pro Tools Lite trying to open the files - I figured that might be the default software. They' are WAVE files from my Tascam DP32SD - which I'm finally getting around to using. I'm experimenting with vocal harmony arrangements. Also want to add some hand percussion. Anyway, I think he'll fill us in with some clues.

• Members

I've tried downloading the file but I keep getting messages saying the file location doesn't exist. I've tried copying the link and accessing it that way as well. I'm not familiar with Dropbox either. I've been downloading tracks as wav. files and mp3's with other collaborators with no problems, but from SoundCloud mostly to be truthful.

Strange thing is I've downloaded a file of David's from the same location before without incident. I checked my Spam settings and I'm not getting any reports from my Anti-Virus from the site so it's a mystery.

• Members
Maybe permission has to be given for the Dropbox folder to be avaiable.

That did it. I created a folder for sharing files. Gave him permission to EDIT the files. And he seems to be good now. Thanks for the suggestions. They can be part of the learning process. Thinking about things I wouldn't have.

• Members

That did it. I created a folder for sharing files. Gave him permission to EDIT the files. And he seems to be good now. Thanks for the suggestions. They can be part of the learning process. Thinking about things I wouldn't have.

Ditto for me. Thanks guys!

:philthumb:

Archived