Why we still love the music we loved as teens

I thought this was a rather interesting article...

https://reverb.com/news/why-we-still-love-the-music-we-loved-as-teenagers

Do you still prefer the types of music (or the actual music) that you liked when you were a teen? Do you prefer it over modern music? Are there modern artists / releases you really like, and if so, are they similar to the music you preferred as a teenager?

• Members

I don`t. I listened to a lot of hair bands when I was between the ages of 10 and 17 a teen... Def Lepperd, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Warrant, Poison, etc... along with a lot of classical music. I`m not sure how I actually tolerated a lot of those hair bands having grown up listening to classical but I think those hormones play havoc on your judgement.

Around the age of 17, I started to listen to more traditional rock and roll... and singer-songwriters like Billy Joel and Elton John.

I didn`t get into The Beatles until I was in my early 20s but I didn`t hear greatness when I heard them, I heard a band that liked to experiment. That was it. Still to this day, I`m still trying to figure out the draw... I also listened to a lot of Rap between the ages of 19 and 22... Dr Dre, Snoop, Ice Cube...

In my late 20s I got into singer-songwriters again and lots of Seal... Then EDM in my early 30s and back to classical... At the age of 42, I finally "got" Rush and I`m still listening to them a lot. As well as singer-songwriters still and of course, more and more classical.

I studied Psychology so I understand the emotional connection the article talks about. I can still remember lyrics to songs I heard as a kid but I don`t remember any of the stuff I have listened to as an adult. Weird how that works.

E

• Members

Frontal lope...

Quote from some internet source... The left frontal lobe controls ability for language, rational and logical thinking, science and math and ability to solve problems. The right frontal lobe controls creativity, imagination, intuition, curiosity, musical and artistic ability.

My theory is it is a development thing and imprints during that time....:music005:

Archived