Call to Arms: Desperate help with Pod Farm 2

• Members

Hey all, I posted in another section of this website about my audio problems and somebody kindly pointed me over here. I have posted the original below. I hope that’s okay. Thank you!

Original post:

Hey guys,

Having massive quality issues, and I was hoping you lovely folks may be able to help. I’ve asked around for help on various websites, but I couldn’t ever get down to the source of my issues. I was hoping the people on this forum may be able to give me guide lines on improving the audio

I write and read out my stories on YouTube and require pleasant audio, which isn’t overly boomy or muddy. I have personally tried to fix my issues for about 5 months now just playing around with the settings. Sometimes I feel the audio is good but on another take it sounds bad. I noticed the audio can change if I speak loud when I hit recording. If I speak quietly when I hit recording, the audio can sound super processed and have this horrible filter over it. I personally speak soft but if the story requires it, I may need to get loud. The audio also needs to be on level, where before it was all over the place. However, this again changed between recordings (no settings changed, no microphone positon changed).

My setup: XLR Microphone (sE 2200aIIC – not even a year old), Line 6 UX2 audio interface and Pod Farm 2.

I don’t believe the audio interface is damaged because I had a hardware compressor and audio mixer before and the same issues happened. I don’t believe the microphone is damaged, but I was thinking about getting the ‘Audio-Technica AT2020’ to test if the sE2220aiic was hard to use a compressor with.

I asked somebody on Twitch who had the exact same set up as me for their Pod Farm settings. I understand we have different voices, but the quality difference between us both is alarming and confusing to me.

The gain is set to the second-to-last major notch. I tried lowering the compression, adjusting the settings on the American classic preamp and moving the microphone itself.

I asked for various other settings from people who have Pod Farm and they all sound poor on my end. This leads me to believe something is damaged. I bought new cables and the same thing happens.

If you guys can’t help then I think I am a lost cause because I cannot get it to sound good no matter the settings.

Is there any suggestions? Can anyone walk me through this?

I’d be forever in your debt. Cheers for reading!!!

• CMS Author

First, post a direct link to the Soundcloud file of your voice. When you copied your post from the other forum (which I didn't look for), the file name was truncated. Hearing what you think is a problem would be helpful in suggesting how to help you. The the voice from other user with a similar setup to yours sounds OK to me.

Your position may not be the best for recording. You have a fair amount of sound absorbing material in the corner behind the mic, but that material has practically no absorption at low frequencies, so your recording may sound overly boomy due to that. Your EQ settings seem to be an attempt to compensate for that, but this isn't something that you can easily correct with EQ.

I'm guessing from the photo of the overall setup that you're sitting in the chair and reading copy from the monitor. You might try rearranging your mic arm setup, turning the mic over so that it's hanging down from above your head. That might get it in an acoustically better position. As an experiment, take the mic out of the corner and into a larger open room. See how your voice sounds when you're 8 to 10 inches away without the close partially absorbent wall and reflection into the rear of the mic from the monitor.

It's hard to tell what the compressor is doing from looking at the settings. If you're trying to use it to keep the level of your voice even, it's not the right tool for that job. Some compression to keep peaks in range could be useful, but a standard compressor makes a poor automatic volume control.

• Members

Firstly I just wanted to say thank you very much for responding! Really means a lot :]

First, post a direct link to the Soundcloud file of your voice. When you copied your post from the other forum (which I didn't look for), the file name was truncated. Hearing what you think is a problem would be helpful in suggesting how to help you. The the voice from other user with a similar setup to yours sounds OK to me.

The voice of the person with the similar setup sounds great. I was confused because we have the same microphone and settings. My voice sounds like this https://soundcloud.com/user-33504769...ycentral-forum

Your position may not be the best for recording. You have a fair amount of sound absorbing material in the corner behind the mic, but that material has practically no absorption at low frequencies, so your recording may sound overly boomy due to that. Your EQ settings seem to be an attempt to compensate for that, but this isn't something that you can easily correct with EQ.

I'm guessing from the photo of the overall setup that you're sitting in the chair and reading copy from the monitor. You might try rearranging your mic arm setup, turning the mic over so that it's hanging down from above your head. That might get it in an acoustically better position. As an experiment, take the mic out of the corner and into a larger open room. See how your voice sounds when you're 8 to 10 inches away without the close partially absorbent wall and reflection into the rear of the mic from the monitor.

Oh no. I hope this isn't the case because the entire room has the foam placed even the ceiling. If that's the case would a dynamic microphone be better? I'd prefer condenser because it has more detail but if there's no choice then would the 'Rode Procaster' be a good pick? I could rip all the foam down but I wouldn’t have anywhere to place it other than the bin.

I'd be happy to send you a video of my complete room so you know how much foam is placed around. It would have to be PM if that's okay?

I placed the microphone slightly to the side because I need to see the screen clearly.

I went downstairs where its open space. However, the floor is wooden and I have a large stone fireplace. It is worth noting I recorded the open space on my laptop with Windows 7. The Pod Farm 2 software has a bug where it only records in 44hz. Normally I use my computer with Win 10 where the bug is fixed and it records in 48hz.

It's hard to tell what the compressor is doing from looking at the settings. If you're trying to use it to keep the level of your voice even, it's not the right tool for that job. Some compression to keep peaks in range could be useful, but a standard compressor makes a poor automatic volume control.

That's a shame because I was using the compressor to keep things close. I can speak soft but many stories require a ramp up in volume.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say :]

This is separate from your level issues, but generally covering the entire room with thin acoustic foam isn't an ideal approach from an acoustics standpoint.... but one thing at a time. :) As Mike suggested, do try moving the mic out further into the room and away from the corner (where low frequencies tend to really build up) and see if you like the sound any better.

• Members
This is separate from your level issues' date=' but generally covering the entire room with thin acoustic foam isn't an ideal approach from an acoustics standpoint.... but one thing at a time. :) As Mike suggested, do try moving the mic out further into the room and away from the corner (where low frequencies tend to really build up) and see if you like the sound any better.[/quote']

Okay dokey :]

• CMS Author

I'm not sure what you're lilstening for, but of the lot, I preferred the hand-held-middle-of-the-room. It sounds the most balanced. The recording away from the corner is decent, too. But I can hear the compressor working and I think that may be what's bothering you, too. The biggest problem with the voice is that there's no dynamics there. It all sounds about the same level and tone. But that's an aesthetic thing rather than an acoustic thing. Try it without the compressor, set the equalizer flat to begin with, and start working from there.

Old condenser mics were fragile, old ribbon mics are sometimes damaged by connecting them with phantom power turned on. It's good practice to turn phantom power off before connecting or disconnect a mic cable, but your mic is pretty modern and modern mics tend to be built to be resistant to careless practices. Good that you're taking care of it, but don't worry about it. I really don't think that the mic itself is the source of your problem, it's how you use it and process it that you need to work on.

• Members
I'm not sure what you're lilstening for, but of the lot, I preferred the hand-held-middle-of-the-room. It sounds the most balanced. The recording away from the corner is decent, too. But I can hear the compressor working and I think that may be what's bothering you, too. The biggest problem with the voice is that there's no dynamics there. It all sounds about the same level and tone. But that's an aesthetic thing rather than an acoustic thing. Try it without the compressor, set the equalizer flat to begin with, and start working from there.

Old condenser mics were fragile, old ribbon mics are sometimes damaged by connecting them with phantom power turned on. It's good practice to turn phantom power off before connecting or disconnect a mic cable, but your mic is pretty modern and modern mics tend to be built to be resistant to careless practices. Good that you're taking care of it, but don't worry about it. I really don't think that the mic itself is the source of your problem, it's how you use it and process it that you need to work on.

Thank you.

Should I start taking down the foam? Would it help if I take the foam behind my microphone or all from my room? Do you think there will be a quality improvement?

I have recorded flat and with slight EQ. The compression is at -20 now rather than -30db. I speak rather soft. Would raising the gain help? I was afraid of touching the gain because of mouth sounds. However, I see a difference between my highs and lows. Previously, my highs were touch -1db but my lows were at -12db so the overall audio sounded quiet.

Do you think those are good? Would you listen to that audio?

I have a feeling that people don't hear what I hear. The audio on my end sounds super processed and nasty but I asked a few people and they think it's good. Maybe I am just super fussy with audio. I don't think its my headphones or the settings on the PC.

• CMS Author

Should I start taking down the foam? Would it help if I take the foam behind my microphone or all from my room? Do you think there will be a quality improvement?

Leave the foam there for now. It's not your problem.

I have recorded flat and with slight EQ. The compression is at -20 now rather than -30db. I speak rather soft. Would raising the gain help? I was afraid of touching the gain because of mouth sounds.

Those numbers mean nothing to me. Get the compressor out of there and turn up the mic input gain until you get a good recording level without compression. Don't be afraid to turn it up all the way. Move closer to the microphone if you need to. Record something and listen to it. Add a little compression if that helps. I don't see much in the way of control on that compressor. Is there anything else behind the panel (pull down another window?)? Look at the amount of gain reduction - there's probably a meter on the plug-in somewhere. Set the compressor threshold so that you get a maximum of about 5 dB of gain reduction on peaks, then increase the compressor's gain to make up that 5 dB so your peak recording level stays about the same as without the compressor.

Flat: https://soundcloud.com/user-335047698/flat

Some EQ: https://soundcloud.com/user-335047698/some-eq

Do you think those are good? Would you listen to that audio?

I think the EQ helps. Maybe it's just the way you speak, but the narration just sounds boring. More than a few minutes would put me to sleep. There's a real skill to developing a voice and style for narration. It's why the people who do it well get the good jobs.

I have a feeling that people don't hear what I hear. The audio on my end sounds super processed and nasty but I asked a few people and they think it's good. Maybe I am just super fussy with audio. I don't think its my headphones or the settings on the PC.

Other than too much compression, I don't think it sounds overprocessed. The sound of your voice doesn't bother me as much as the even, experessionless delivery. I don't know if that's what you're doing or if the compressor is just taking all the dynamics out of your narration, and you're making up what it loses (besides dynamics) with the equalization.

• Members

Leave the foam there for now. It's not your problem.

Those numbers mean nothing to me. Get the compressor out of there and turn up the mic input gain until you get a good recording level without compression. Don't be afraid to turn it up all the way. Move closer to the microphone if you need to. Record something and listen to it. Add a little compression if that helps. I don't see much in the way of control on that compressor. Is there anything else behind the panel (pull down another window?)? Look at the amount of gain reduction - there's probably a meter on the plug-in somewhere. Set the compressor threshold so that you get a maximum of about 5 dB of gain reduction on peaks, then increase the compressor's gain to make up that 5 dB so your peak recording level stays about the same as without the compressor.

I think the EQ helps. Maybe it's just the way you speak, but the narration just sounds boring. More than a few minutes would put me to sleep. There's a real skill to developing a voice and style for narration. It's why the people who do it well get the good jobs.

Other than too much compression, I don't think it sounds overprocessed. The sound of your voice doesn't bother me as much as the even, experessionless delivery. I don't know if that's what you're doing or if the compressor is just taking all the dynamics out of your narration, and you're making up what it loses (besides dynamics) with the equalization.

Those are my "go to lines" for testing audio. I'm really bored of reading them, haha. I only read them out to see what you think about the quality of the audio. You have given me plently of great advice and I know what to do now. I think its the heavy compression because I can speak quietly but if turning up the gain is safe then I will do that :]

Can't thank you enough Mike! I again thank you for your time and patience. Take it easy and have a good one :]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What can be causing this issue is your headphones.

Many budget headphones have low sensitivity or may have an impedance out of range for the headphone amp.

The amp itself may lack gain as well. Then of course there's the frequency response and quality of the headphones.

Low gain on the headphones will trick you into thinking the microphone level is low so you wind up cranking the mic level up into saturation levels.

I suggest you get a commercial quality recording similar to what you're doing. If you're narrating, get a similar narration that's been professionally recorded. Import a copy of it into your DAW program. Play it back within the DAW program and adjust your headphone level to an optimum level then mark that setting as a base line. Ideally, the headphone level should be around 50% if your headphones are a good match for the headphone amp.

Next, set your mic up and compare its loudness to the recording you're playing back. You should be able to get a comparable level.

From there you have to realize, the commercial recording has likely been mastered and had a brick wall limiter applied.

The commercial recording is likely going to have at least 3dB higher gain then your mic does when its recording.

What you do is first match the volume of the commercial recording, then back your mic down about 3db.

If that makes what you hear through the headphones too hard to hear, you compensate by turning your headphone volume up maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn.

If you are running the headphone level at max and still cant hear the mic well enough, cranking the mic too high isn't going to do anything but overdrive your recorded signal. What you need to do is get a better headphone amp or better headphones.

This is a pretty common issues too. I have a couple of sets of AKG headphones and the headphone amp on my Tascam interface is highly inadequate. I usually wind up sending the monitor line out to a stronger headphone amp so I can gear things better.

The other possibility is your interface driver may have a DSP balance control that fades between the computer playback and your live input levels.

You'd have to check this because each interface can be different.

This is more critical when you multitrack, but it can also affect your primary tracking levels. I have this in my Tascam console. It can be tweaked to 100% computer playback or 100% input. I set mine for about 50% so I hear both equally. I often have to tweak it a bit hotter when I track vocals, mainly because I'm using a ribbon mic. If I use a condenser I usually back it down a bit.

Not sure this is the problem but all these should be checked.

Archived