Sophomoric theme, crude development, bumbling extrapolation, A+

1001gear

• Members

Computer-based music generators have been around for a long time. There was one that analyzed all of Bach's works and created new, "fake Bach" compositions. They had the "look and feel" of Bach, but were stupifyingly unsatisfying. Upon listening to them, my basic conclusion was that the computer could choose "appropriate" notes, but was clueless about dynamics, timing, the element of surprise, and arranging.

Machines will eventually take over most human activity. Then at some point there will be an X-class solar flare the grid will go down, millions will die, and no one will remember how to do anything. Have a nice day :)

• Members

It's inevitable. They already did chess and Deep Mind just beat that Go champ. Computers can easily go the long way and learn music - and before you go off on predictable soulless crap, that's exactly what the industry is coming up with. Pfft for that matter, computers could go the long way around and learn EVERYBODY'S music and then go run rings around it.

• Members

Yeah, but some things lend themselves to algorithmic analysis where you can predict the future with reasonable certainty by extrapolating the past. For example 50% of all stock transactions are done by algorithms, not people. With online retailers, prices are often determined algorithmically by bots going and checking prices in order to match or beat them. Chess and Go definitely lend themselves to algorithms, because the possible number of moves is finite, and you can judge each one as to its effectiveness.

However, I can't imaging an algorithm digesting musical history and inventing, for example, reggae. This doesn't rule out that an algorithm could learn to do something that hasn't been done before by specifically avoiding that which has been done before, but ultimately, some human is going to have to judge whether they like the results or not unless we get to the point where machines are making music for other machines. Not show how an algorithm for "personal taste" would be written, though...

A lot of times songwriters don't really know where their songs come from...that's the inspiration factor. Teaching a machine how to be inspired by making connections that never existed previously, AND judging them to have merit, is going to be difficult to say the least.

I think software could simulate the soul as soon as they figure out what it is. Even failing that' date=' Magenta could brute force the process and maybe learn aesthetics by emulation.[/quote']

Here's one that will blow your mind. Scientists are seriously debating whether you and I (and everyone / everything else in this universe) is a computer simulation.

IOW, it's very possible that software is already simulating everything - including you, your thoughts, emotions... your entire self-awareness.

As Craig said - have a nice day. :):wave:

• Members

I've been saying for decades that what we call "reality" is a hologram of the electromagnetic spectrum. One of the other links on the same page posits the same concept. Nice to see some scientists are catching up :)

We'll talk about how anti-gravity works some other time.

• Members

I saw that Tyson thing a while back but I also saw The Matrix when it came out. I saw nothing fundamentally discreditable about the idea then. Anyway given all that and that reality has no way to originate in the first place, :eek: here we are with a music composing algorithm. A music theory plugin suite could put it on its way.

Archived