Home made videos with 2 cameras ?

• Members

I have a Sony HDR MV1 - it has no zoom. I was thinking a guitar player friend and I could do some videos for YouTube. But it also occurred to me that we could get a friend with another camera to do zooming and what not. What software would be used for this ? To edit video from 2 cameras together. I'm thinking maybe it wouldn't be too complicated, but of course I don't really know. All I've done is record MP4 files and trim off the beginnings and endings. And upload to YT.

• Members

I've had good luck with AVS. Disclaimer: I have very little experience in video work.

But I like how it's similar to a DAW. You put the video tracks in a track editor and comp them, with fades.

I also like the fact that once done editing, my bloated pig MP4 files reduce to about 1/2 their original size when saved as an MPG. I've even stripped off audio and replaced it with audio from a different file. It seems pretty versatile.

And the price (free) is definitely right.

The main issue you'll probably run into is synchronization, and assuming you'll be using phone or other inexpensive cameras you won't be able to stripe SMPTE and lock them that way, so you may have to do some nudging and alignment in software, but that's not that difficult with a program like Sony's (now Magix's) Vegas. Vegas uses a multitrack paradigm similar to your DAW. On the iPad I use a program that is conceptually similar, but simpler and cheaper called Pinnacle Studio Pro.

One recommendation - use the audio tracks from a single source; trying to switch between different audio sources will be a nightmare and won't sound right.

I've had good luck with AVS. Disclaimer: I have very little experience in video work.

But I like how it's similar to a DAW. You put the video tracks in a track editor and comp them, with fades.

I also like the fact that once done editing, my bloated pig MP4 files reduce to about 1/2 their original size when saved as an MPG. I've even stripped off audio and replaced it with audio from a different file. It seems pretty versatile.

And the price (free) is definitely right.

Sounds interesting Phil - do you have a link?

Is this a Mac or PC program?

• Members

I'm a big fan of PowerDirector by Cyberlink for editing videos, but it's all I've ever used.

I'm guessing you can do some decent edits using Windows Movie Maker.

Totally agree with Phil, choose a single source for the audio.

• Members

All video is smoke and mirrors (spoiler alert: the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park weren't real :) ). Shoot a video with you performing and playing with the camera in a fixed position. Then, place the camera somewhere else (like close up), play back the audio over a boombox or whatever, and "play" along with it and lip-sync. Make sure the camera is recording the audio. You'll end up with a bunch of videos; sync them together by listening to the audio and avoiding "slapback." If your lip-synching isn't perfect, just use the sections that are good, and cut away to something else. If you play some cool improvised solo that you can't duplicate, then have the camera on your face...you get the idea.

Check out the following video, it used one camera (an Olympus flip cam) and was shot entirely in my bathroom. You'll see some SERIOUS smoke and mirrors!! The zoom and pan wasn't done with the camera, but while editing with Magix Vegas.

[video=youtube;wywHaOWmBVc]

• Members

Check out the following video, it used one camera (an Olympus flip cam) and was shot entirely in my bathroom. You'll see some SERIOUS smoke and mirrors!! The zoom and pan wasn't done with the camera, but while editing with Magix Vegas.

[video=youtube;wywHaOWmBVc]

Your method sounds like the most easily doable at this point by me, the novice. Maybe I'll try it in the near term and later (hopefully) learn to marry audio with two camera footage.

And BTW, from some video editing roundup reviews, Adobe, Corel and CyberLink seem to be preferred:

http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,2806,4835,00.asp

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-video-editing-software,review-2167.html

• Members

I have had great success with PowerDirector by Cyberlink. You can sync the audio as long as you have audio on all video cameras. It will sync as many as 100 camcorders although I would imagine that you would need a whole bunch of RAM. I only use 2 camcorders and I also use green screen backgrounds.

Examples can be found on YouTube.

Archived