Weird ww2 story about Gibson

• Members

A vaguely interesting story of a replication idea that didn't go very far. No biggie. I've heard of record company a&r guys who used to sign an act, the act didn't hear anything, months went by, band finds out the signing wasn't authorized, no one at the label has heard of the band and in fact... no one at the label "remembers" the a&r guy either and he's long gone.

Welcome to "any big business 101".

If I'm ever in that slot, that's when I smile, say "thank you" and move on to the next life adventure. Not that I encounter this much.

Anyway, what I get from the story is that a number of someones are pushing an angle to make this story not go away. Almost creating some drama. My uneducated guess is that one if not several bridges have been permanently burned. No... blown up. "How to become invisible in the business world 101". Just my opinion. Everyone wants pr nowadays, even if it's to their own suicide.

And finally, it's cool that 9,000 women were making Gibson guitars in the war. It's also cool that millions of women were making tires, planes, bombs, bread, cars, and whatever else while the men were in Europe. That's where the story could've ended for me with a smile on my face. About the moment I read the approximate line "clashed with Gibson's story....", that's when the story slowly moved into childish, amateur-writing land that ultimately turned me off.

• Members

My mother sometimes told the story about working in a clothing factory in Jacksonvile (FL) in her youth. She may have been 18 or so - circa 1946 or so. She said they had quotas for the workers who were doing the piece work. A woman might be required to sew maybe 200 pockets on shirts in an hour (or whatever). My mother was good with numbers, and they moved her into the bookkeeping office. But she said it was heartbreaking to see. Some of the women who were old widows, with no other income, struggled to meet their quota, were simply unable to do it, and were fired.

There were good reasons for the rise of labor unions in times past.

• Members
My mother sometimes told the story about working in a clothing factory in Jacksonvile (FL) in her youth. She may have been 18 or so - circa 1946 or so. She said they had quotas for the workers who were doing the piece work. A woman might be required to sew maybe 200 pockets on shirts in an hour (or whatever). My mother was good with numbers, and they moved her into the bookkeeping office. But she said it was heartbreaking to see. Some of the women who were old widows, with no other income, struggled to meet their quota, were simply unable to do it, and were fired.

There were good reasons for the rise of labor unions in times past.

....And I believe those times are returning....

Archived