Achieving total separation with glue: Analyzing "Thick as a Brick"

144dB

• Members

Hey all,

"Thick as a Brick" is one of my favorite albums. I can't imagine what it took to write, perform, record, mix, and master that mammoth piece.

As I listen to it today, I'm blown away by the separation of individual instruments, while at the same time it still sounds glued together. I think it's a great mix, but if anyone had criticism of it, it might be that it's a bit bright. But each and every instrument is clear as a bell, they all have their place in the stereo soundfield, and it's a wonderfully dynamic recording (going from -25 dBFS RMS to about-15 dBFS RMS at the loudest sections).

So how the hell did they do it in 1972?

How do you get these wonderfully small, clear, slivers of sound that occupy their own space in the left/right spectrum, while at the same time preserving a near perfect mono mix? I have to believe it's EQ, coupled with very good recording technique.

Back in the 70's, did they chain EQs together in series? I didn't think there were many EQs available with more than three bands, and I don't see how the sounds could be EQ'd so well with just some filters and shelving.

Any insight into what makes this record sound so great?

• Members

I could never get into JT. I routinely turned my engineer and ears off whenever I heard their stuff coming over the airwaves in the 70s so this is the first time I've taken a listen to Thick.

In my lowly opinion......

one reason there's nice separation and some air is because most of the time, there are only two or three things going on. Stuff drops in and out in the arrangement. Which is always good for air and giving the illusion over the course of a few minutes that you're hearing 12 things when you're really not hearing 12 things all at the same time. So someone was making some conscious choices about frequency spectrum and not overfilling it.... the exact opposite of say, what Yes was doing in 72 on Close to the Edge and later works.

That flute in the first few minutes is in mono and....crucially (since no one operates this way any more), the reverb on the flute is also mono and printed right there in the same flute space. Instant pinpoint management in the spectrum.... and I notice the flute gets panned in realtime at some point or another. The mono reverb on it helps keep it in its own spatial spot.

I love mono reverb printed in the same spot as the mono instrument associated with it. Takes me right back to 1959 and 1962.

There are certainly other factors that make that tune sound like it does. Sounds like extremely small, damped room for the tracking. Common at that time period. Tape high-end roll-off, state of the consoles then (no one bought consoles that did 10hz-68khz like you'd shop for a laptop interface). Probably a lot of tape comping too, but I've not read detailed interviews on how JT records were made.

• Members

It's funny... Anderson wrote it as a spoof of the prog that was being done at the time, and it wound up being one of the best examples of the genre.

Can you imagine trying to play it from stem to stern live?

• Members

That flute in the first few minutes is in mono and....crucially (since no one operates this way any more), the reverb on the flute is also mono and printed right there in the same flute space. Instant pinpoint management in the spectrum.... and I notice the flute gets panned in realtime at some point or another. The mono reverb on it helps keep it in its own spatial spot.

All your observations were excellent but this made me really think. Haven't done mono reverb in...I dunno, centuries...I'll have to give it a try. I add very little reverb these days, usually just some on the vocal, but it will be interesting to hear if doing it in mono makes any kind of significant difference in my mixes.

Archived