Spotify Adds Video Programming

• Members

They're starting with 12 new video series. Isn't this kinda what MTV tried?

If the world was shocked when cable multiplied the options 100 fold compared to network television, it's going to be really shocked when the internet multiplies the options 100 fold over cable. But it seems to me with all these options, the market share for each option is going to be a sliver, with all the players fighting it out.

Also, I'm not sure consumers want a bewildering number of options. It used to be simple...if you wanted to stream video on your computer, you had YouTube and Netflix. Now there are a zillion others. I have neither the time nor interest to research all the options and decide which one I want, so I've kind of lost interest in all of them. It's supposed to be entertainment, not work.

• Members

And, of course, though the Verge failed to include it with mention of other new music/video crossover offerings from other companies, the 800 pound gorilla of video, Google/Alphabet has begun integrating YouTube content with its sister music platform Play Music as well as extending Play Music's subscription music streaming into the YouTube system (why you see all those label/big distributor supplied music tracks now) for paying subscribers. (A ~$10/mo Google Play subscription also includes YouTube Red, the paid YT service that removes adverts and gives access to YT's own original series content.)

And Amazon's Prime (~$100/yr in the US, I believe) offers an array of video content as well as Amazon's music streaming service.

The YT/Play Music integration is more than a bit superficial -- searches for titles, artists, etc, now return videos in addition to albums, tracks, and playlists (handy when a specific song isn't in the stream-o-sphere for some reason), but you can't (yet) stick a video into your music queue for playing in sequence with streamed music. However, clicking a vid in Play Music fades down and pauses your music, plays the vid, and then returns you to your music. (Wish they'd impose that quick fade every time one hit the skip button! As it is, sometimes I manually fade just because the sudden sound cut-off is so ugly.)

Archived