Craig: About your Chorus trick...

144dB

• Members

Hi Craig,

I'm a big fan of your 2003 book, Cubase SX/SL - Mixing & Mastering. The book still generally applies to recent versions of Cubase, and there are some real gems in terms of overall mixing technique in the book.

A quick question:

On page 347, you cite a technique for using chorus to thin-out a background part. It optimally requires an out of phase output, and it also requires a plugin that can shut-off modulation.

Are there any third-party plugs that you might recommend that can do this? I've looked around, and I don't see many with the phase option. I'm on Cubase 6.5, and I don't think the default Chorus plugins can do this either.

Just curious, as I think this technique would help address a problem part on one of my mixes.

Thanks again.

Todd

• Members

I don't have a copy of the book here, and I don't remember the details. Would being able to flip the channel phase at the mixer channel do the job? If not, I'm not sure what 8.5 has, but Pro Tools and SONAR have "utility" plug-ins that can change phase. Maybe Cubase has something like that? If not, the Panipulator from Boz Digital is a free download that lets you flip polarity individually for the left and right channels.

• Members

Hi Craig,

I don't want to infringe on your copyright, but I figured it would be easier if I just snapped a shot of the paragraph rather than trying to paraphrase it. If it's an issue, please delete the post.

It sounds like just the thing I need to thin-out an organ part.

44f541ea7698b4643f1b3b021796c8e9.thumb.jpg.bc3e3e0bbb27a9ce323d19701e6f795e.jpg

Archived