Windows on the Mac - What Are Your Experiences?

• Members

Another thread mentioned Windows working better on Macs than most PCs when using Parallels. There's also the boot camp option.

I have a PC-based system and a recent-model Powerbook, so I'm intrigued. Can you run 64-bit Windows with Parallels or Boot Camp? Or is it a Windows 7-only kind of thing? I'm sure I'll have more questions as this goes on, but would be interested in opinions from those use Windows software on Mac hardware.

• Members

I've never used Parallels because I'm not into virtual machines other than sometimes still using dosbox on my win pcs to access old dos programs (when I don't feel like firing up an actual old dos machine)

I've been a big fan of Bootcamp as all the Mac machine resources are then dedicated to the win os partition. I've been using two six/seven year old Mac Minis with Windows 7 64 bit for a few years and they work beautifully for that. But with BootCamp, the requirement is that the Mac is an Intel based machine.

If you have a powerbook, isn't that Motorola innerds? Which leaves it out of the running for Boot Camp. As I remember anyway.

By the way, instead of "Newbie", can't I be something more interesting like "fades in and out"? Or "occasionally returns". Or, "restored from a backup" or something?

• Members

I just recently put Windows 7 64 bit on Parallels on my 2015 Macbook Pro with El Capitan. At first the gui was pretty laggy but I adjusted some Windows resolution settings and it worked out. I haven't used it much yet. I had some issues getting the Mac-Windows sharing to work. I actually am not even sure what I did to get it working, but it is now.

I've used Windows 7 (32 bit I think) on an older version of Parallels on my 2007 Macbook Pro with OS 10.6 a fair amount and it worked out well.

By the way, instead of "Newbie", can't I be something more interesting like "fades in and out"? Or "occasionally returns". Or, "restored from a backup" or something?

I think I can arrange that for you. :) Let me know if you change your mind and want one of the other options you mentioned instead.

And that goes for any of the other regulars - if you want a custom title, just drop me a PM with your request. :wave:

PS Keep them fairly clean and reasonable please like bookumdano did! :cop:

• Members
If you have a powerbook' date=' isn't that Motorola innerds? Which leaves it out of the running for Boot Camp. As I remember anyway.[/quote']

Oops, force of habit. I meant MacBook Pro. My PowerBooks died years ago. I'm hard on laptops...

Archived