Local Record Cutting Store - 1st one I've seen.

• Members

I was out on one of my walks the other day and came across this. I live in the College Park section of Orlando. The guy inside said there's a place (Rabbit Foot Records) in Sanford, 20 miles north.

I think the technology was discussed here recently but I didn't think it would be popping up so soon. The guy told me a vinyl album takes about 40 minutes and has to be cut in real time. I asked him how much $ and he said they're trying to figure that out. He said that Rabbit Foot Records charges $40 per disc.

If one's popped up here I figure they're popping up all around the country. Anybody seen 'em ?

cc4f208ed32494946dd71a8995884263.thumb.jpg.15357f21a8739d8f0407b76c6b03632c.jpg

• Members

I'm headed down there right now with a box of old cassettes. I need to freshen them back up with more analog goodness.

;)

Rabbit Food Records & Cafe recordcutting: http://www.rabbitfoot.rocks/recordcutting.html

Record Cutting is back at Rabbitfoot! Our record cutting machine is back in operation, so bring in your band's latest CD, that kickass karaoke session you had... whatever. We'll cut a custom record just for you!
Just as well to slide right around the source question... since, for such a rig to be capable of modern variable space groove cutting, it would have to have a digital preview (aka look-ahead) since the only other way requires a specially built tape machine with a tape path with an additional 4-plus feet of path (to achieve the required delay)... The 'dirty little secret' of today's vinyl mania is that most vinyl created on cutting rigs made since the 80s has involved a digital stage. So much for 'pure' analog.

• CMS Author

I don't know what Rabbit Foot is using as a cutter, but there have been a couple of upscale home-like direct-to-vinyl disk cutters peeking out over the last dozen years or so, mostly targeted to the DJ who wants to cut a record of a mix he's put together. I wrote up one in my last NAMM show report from a German company that's been making cutter heads for some time now and know what they're doing. You supply your own turntable and power amplifier to drive the cutter, he supplies the cutter head, lathe mechanism, and signal processor (RIAA equalizer and limiter). Depending on how you accessorize it, you can put together a rig for $5-6,000.

• Members

I'm holding out for the comeback of these.....wire recorders

[YOUTUBE]FvE45ZGdp7Y[/YOUTUBE]

nat whilk ii

Surprisingly good quality. Speed's a bit rocky at times. I love the way the shuttle (I guess that's what to call it) keeps moving hypnotically up and down. I could watch it all day. Or at least 5 minutes and 15 seconds, which gets one through Pops' tune and into the commercial break.

• Members
I don't know what Rabbit Foot is using as a cutter' date=' but there have been a couple of upscale home-like direct-to-vinyl disk cutters peeking out over the last dozen years or so, mostly targeted to the DJ who wants to cut a record of a mix he's put together. I wrote up one in my last NAMM show report from a German company that's been making cutter heads for some time now and know what they're doing. You supply your own turntable and power amplifier to drive the cutter, he supplies the cutter head, lathe mechanism, and signal processor (RIAA equalizer and limiter). Depending on how you accessorize it, you can put together a rig for $5-6,000.[/quote']

Are they fixed width groove?

• CMS Author

Are they fixed width groove?

Basically, yes. There's a knob for advancing the lead screw manually, and you have to do that yourself to create bands between songs on the disk. There's no equivalent of a photocell to see the leader between songs on the master tape and make the bands automatically. The guy who builds it says that you can manually adjust the pitch during a cut if you know what you're doing. This is what mastering engineers used to do before they had computer controlled lathes and advance preview (which, before digital delays, was analog, with an elongated tape path and another head). He said that he could design a variable pitch system if there was demand, but so far there isn't.

Here's the cutter company's web site: http://vinylrecorder.com/

Related as being retro-tech (is that a term ?) - a new Leica $6,000 camera with no LCD display. Bringing back fond memories of overexposed photos.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/28/11...g-availability

From the article:

"bring back the joy and anticipation of waiting to see how pictures turned out."

I've dabbled with photography for decades - I got my first Kodak 110 camera when I was 10, and was taking photography classes, using SLRs, developing my own film and prints and taking yearbook photos by high school... so I was around well before the modern digital age of photography, and since the dawn of the digital age, I haven't once thought as I was looking at the LED screen to see if I got the shot I wanted or not "gee, I sure hate this LED, and I wish they'd do away with it and bring back the joy and anticipation of waiting to see how the pictures turned out", but maybe that's just me.

Shooting photos without immediate feedback seems to be a "thing". Not sure how big of a thing. I recalled hearing some sort of story on NPR. The link below may or may not be the story I heard, but it's a about niche trend toward using film.

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/11/174043...hey-never-knew

1. Shoot 36 pictures with your digital camera.

2. Don't look at any of them. Instead, set your camera in your closet for an hour, to simulate taking them to a One Hour Photo Developer.

3. Go back to the closet and get the camera. Drive to the nearest drug store.

4. Stand near the counter and "Ooh and aah" at how the pictures turned out while pretending you just paid $20 to get them developed. ;)

• Members

1. Shoot 36 pictures with your digital camera.

2. Don't look at any of them. Instead, set your camera in your closet for an hour, to simulate taking them to a One Hour Photo Developer.

3. Go back to the closet and get the camera. Drive to the nearest drug store.

4. Stand near the counter and "Ooh and aah" at how the pictures turned out while pretending you just paid $20 to get them developed. ;)

And don't forget to send the ~$15 you would have spent on processing to your favorite charity; The Photographers' Widows and Orphans Fund might be a natch...

• Members
This whole thread is reminding me of "The Settlers" commercial that one of the satellite company's is running right now.

The settlers commercials are a hoot. It seems to me there is a lot of great writing and invention in many commercials these days. I ran across a 3 minute commercial with Ellie Kemper (The Office/Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt) for Buick. It's a little comic episode.

[video=youtube;XxfXn_vjOe0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxfXn_vjOe0

Archived