WANT TO BUY TOMORROW ...QUICK mackie profx12 ......only usb 1 .....fast enough mixer?

• Members

What do you think about the mackie profx12 usb mixer...anyone play with this. I'm in Toronto only until noon tomorrow and the rebate is over the end of April.

Thanks all for your help in advance.

AND......Tracktion 3 SOFTWARE WORK WITH windows 10 ???

Dan

• CMS Author
What do you think about the mackie profx12 usb mixer...anyone play with this.

It's not a great mixer, but a functional one. Like anything else, it depends on what you're planning to use it for. I would use it as a knock-around utility mixer but not to mix a delicate acoustic show.

AND......Tracktion 3 SOFTWARE WORK WITH windows 10 ???

It'll probably work, and upgrades are cheap if you really like it. Tracktion has a substantially different user interface than other DAWs. It doesn't hurt to give it a try. Traction 4 is free and supports up to Windows 8, though it appears that Tracktion 6 is the first one that recognizes Windows 10. I wouldn't buy the mixer because it includes Tracktion, but you can give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks Mike for the reply !! I realized that this mixer won't send 12 discreet channels through USB and because I'm mixing my own drums AFTER I record them this won't cut it.

Thanks again....

BTW USB>Firewire doesn't seem to work either.

Dan

• CMS Author
Thanks Mike for the reply !! I realized that this mixer won't send 12 discreet channels through USB and because I'm mixing my own drums AFTER I record them this won't cut it.

Nope. You have to spend more money to get 12 A/D converters. But the bonus is that you also get a better mixer.

BTW USB>Firewire doesn't seem to work either.

Nope. The so-called USB-Firewire cables only carry power for charging a battery, likely for a 10 year old handy video camera.

• Members

Nope. The so-called USB-Firewire cables only carry power for charging a battery, likely for a 10 year old handy video camera.

Not even a 10 year old video camera !! I also tried my old Sony camcorder with the Firewire>USB adapter. Windows 10 didn't see the camera at all. So I guess that I will need to keep my old laptops running, with DUCT TAPE if need be for my Helix mixer.

I was hopeful for the Helix mixer, because Phonic had a USB version of the same mixer and USB drivers.

It is easy to pop a Firewire interface into a tower, but not so easy with a laptop.

Dan

• CMS Author

It is easy to pop a Firewire interface into a tower, but not so easy with a laptop.

I have a couple of Cardbus Firewire cards that work with my Mackie mixers, but last time I went looking for a new laptop there were none with external bus I/O card slots, only USB (and not many of them, either). I have a Cymatic LR-16 that can serve as a 16-channel line level input interface, but it can also record directly to a USB hard drive or flash drive and doesn't need a computer, so I don't bring one along when I'm using it. It's really only a "live capture" device though, and not suitable for jobs like punching in.

You know, if you don't mind a mixer with no knobs (BYO IPad), those Mackie iPod docks with mic preamps and DSP mixing will let you record inputs directly to tracks. Behringer has something similar, of course, that works with an Android or a comuter as the control surface as well. Also, there are several versions of their X32 mixer, some with hardware controls, some without, all of which allow you to record your inputs directly to a USB drive or computer. But they're all more expensive than a Mackie ProFX.

Archived