No announcement yet.

R.I.P Prince

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P Prince

I am hoping this isn't true- but reports are pouring in from all over.

Prince has been found dead in his home studio. He was 57 years old.

Here is a story we published:
    http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...0-r-i-p-prince

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-a6995076.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	117555
Views:	1
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	31727205
    Prince performs at the Billboard Music Awards at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Sunday, May 19, 2013 in Las Vegas. (Source: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)
    Last edited by Dendy Jarrett; 04-21-2016, 04:01 PM.
    Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-hospital.html

Comment

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2610011

Comment

I just heard from my wife... I'm in shock...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I had heard about his aircraft making an unscheduled landing due to him being sick a few days ago, but it was written off to a bad case of the flu... and now he's gone.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

This is another particularly difficult death for me -- and obviously for a lot of folks. My then-GF and I bought the first two albums when they came out and played them a lot during our time together (she got custody) since she was into R&B and I was into electric guitar and funk (and maybe looking for the next Jimi, I dunno). After he got big, I didn't follow his career so much -- seemed like the media did it for me -- but I've always had a soft spot for him -- and was always delighted to catch a vid or clip with him strapping on a guitar and throwing out his burning solos so casually...

RIP, Prince.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

• Dendy Jarrett
              Dendy Jarrett commented
              Editing a comment
              Man, I hear you. His first hits came in a very prolific time in my musical journey as a drummer. I can remember the first time I heard many of his Purple Rain hits and the impact they had on me. I also remember when I learned he played most of the instruments on his album. It was then that I knew he was a musical genius.

A family member confirmed his death so… RIP Prince.

We`ve had a crazy 8 months or so with all these musicians leaving us…

Comment

Here is our story:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...0-r-i-p-prince

Comment

I'm devastated. No other artist/musician that I didn't personally know or work with had a bigger impact on my life.

Comment

Photography. Music. Recording engineering. Gardening. Poetry. Writing. Drawing. Painting. Coding.

It's all art to me. They're all manifestations of inspiration, of expression, and they are at their greatest when they are at their purest.

He truly inspired me to stick to my vision, no matter what people initially thought, both in music and with photography.

There are very few musicians or artists that I would apply the word "genius" to. Prince is one of them. Incredibly gifted, talented, creative, innovative, he created music that was all his own, instantly recognizable. When he began his career, he blew away music executives by his beautifully crafted songs and sound, playing all the instruments, writing the songs, and doing all the vocals and background vocals. He is a towering figure in pop, funk, R&B, rock, outsider music...and artists who have the spine to stick to their vision no matter what.

I am very lucky to have seen him perform.

This has been a horrible year for many well-known musicians. It's only April, and it seems so many legends have passed away already this year. Hopefully somewhere, there is a big ol' greasy, funky jam underway, with Prince, Bowie, Frey, Haggard, Kantner, and White gettin' loose, and Abe Vigoda introducing the band.

R.I.P. Prince Nelson. Most anyone who has played pop, rock, funk - or anyone who has ever stuck to their artistic vision despite great obstacles or criticism owes you a giant hug and a thank you. Max respect.
                  Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

I always felt that at any given moment, he was one of the best electric guitar soloists that ever picked one up. I always,always felt he was the heir apparent to Hendrix. The Evolved Hendrix if you will.

I'm a bit shattered at his early death..RIP
                    Last edited by AlamoJoe; 04-21-2016, 07:20 PM. Reason: Typo
                    http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli View Post
                      [COLOR=#222222]He truly inspired me to stick to my vision, no matter what people initially thought, both in music and with photography.
                      Exactly. I remember getting into Prince in the early 90s… my first thought was, "What style of music is this?" It was such a hodgepodge of different genres but it worked. You heard Prince once and you knew you were hearing something completely unique. Let alone everything else he did and just stick to the songs…. its mind blowing.

Comment

You can spot a Prince song in just a few seconds.

He had dance songs in which he took out the bass entirely.

He sounded like....Prince.

Especially with people like Prince or Bowie, they inspire those of us who do things differently. People like us who do art that is sort of strange and outside the norm...when we see people who really stick to their vision, it's extra inspiring. Both these guys created music that straddled the fence between pop and stranger sort of stuff, and that's a more difficult area to occupy.
                        Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

What a big loss!

I've been a Prince fan since "I Wanna Be Your Lover" was released. We were roughly the same age, and he repeatedly set the bar for our generation—and that's saying something when your competition includes Michael Jackson! I can't think of another musician who was such a great singer, dancer, writer, and multi-instrumentalist. For his rare combination of breadth and depth he was unrivaled.

Another great has passed before his time.

Best,

Geoff
                          Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Comment

"I Guess I Should've Known By The Way You Parked Your Car Sideways"
                            Last edited by UstadKhanAli; 04-23-2016, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X