Mobile powered USB hub?

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Say you need a USB hub for more simultaneous USB devices with your tablet or laptop, but aren't going to be near any power outlets, but you could throw a couple of 10,000mAh Li-ion USB battery charger packs into your laptop bag... is there anything out there that gives you a powered hub that you can power with a battery like that?

Perhaps you could adapt the power cable from a wall-wart powered hub. The power supply is probably 5 volts DC' date=' same as you get out of a USB port, which would be the same as you'd get from one of those power packs.[/quote']

That's what I was thinking too Mike. Just need to get a cable that will fit any old powered hub and wire the other end for either a USB plug or flip it around and get a USB cable and wire the proper power plug to the other end for the hub. But it seems like someone should be making such a thing commercially. I can't imagine I'm the only mobile musician who has run into the need to plug in more than one or two USB peripherals in at a time while on the go.

I managed to find this...

cph420mp_01b.jpg

… and her's a link to something that looks interesting...

https://www.cablewholesale.com/produ...41u3-31004.php

If they made that same thing with a built in Li-ion battery instead of needing to feed it AA batteries, it would be perfect!

The one you linked to seems to just be a typical USB hub with a wall adapter to power it.... but I do appreciate and thank you for trying to find something for me! :cool2:

• Members

Yes, you are right. I'm looking for the same thing and I was thrown off by the "self powered" description and didn't read all the details. I too would like to beable to plug in more than one device out in the field (or, in my case, in the woods or at the beach).

It seems that Apple is obsessed with making everything thinner even if it compromises functionality. I need to use a powered USB hub to run my multi channel AudioBox with Auria on my iPad. Unfortunately, I can't charge the iPad at the same time.

I shouldn't complain - especially when I think back 20 or 30 years and look at how much studio gear has been replaced with something the size of a magazine.

• CMS Author

If they made that same thing with a built in Li-ion battery instead of needing to feed it AA batteries, it would be perfect!

Oh, yeah - I didn't recognize those lines on the top as designating what size batteries it takes. Since the USB standard is 500 mA per port, while it's not likely you'd actually have four devices plugged in each of which draw the maximum current, if it was compliant with the standard, you could. With the capacity of a AA cell being about 2 Amp-hours, you'd be changing batteries every half hour.

That reminds me of a long story about a miracle wrist watch, the punch line being "Oh, don't forget the batteries" as the seller pointed to the two large suitcases he came in with.

What kind of devices do you want to use with the hub? Is there only one USB port? Are there any other ports' date=' like FireWire or Thunderbolt?[/quote']

No Thunderbolt or Firewire... just USB. I'm thinking about situations where you have multiple devices and some or all of them are bus powered, thus precluding the use of a non-powered hub.

• Members

I bought a couple of cheap ones a long time ago that have 4 inputs. Does the job fine. There's no brand name on it just says USB 2. My local Microcenter had a few different ones to choose from and I'm sure NewEgg will also.

• 1 month later...

Archived