What music says about your personality

• Members
Seriously; one junction? I'm a musician not a casual listener. Can't say I liked any of that stuff either although Nora Jones stood out; probably because I like that one hit she did.

Like 1001, I didn't like any of it much. I did think it pretty amusing that the 'scientist' was giving the 'journalist' the 'test' (and no, I could not possibly use any less air quotes there) over the incredibly crappy laptop speakers (when there was a semi-pro rig in back of them, probably an IP rights 'inoculation,' but still)... and THEN, for gosh sake, there was the baroque music playing on what sounded like the FM synth on a 1990 soundcard. W?T?F?

One last... when I get to the top of a mountain, after I stop hyperventilating from the acrophobia, I'm filled with a deeply emotionally resonant sense of awe and wonder at the glory of nature and the understanding that the amazing vista in front of me is just one, glorious step on the pathway to ultimate entropy. ;)

• Members

This stuff reminds me of a time I was in a small New Agey bookstore. A guy was returning a crystal he said wasn't responding to him. Maybe if this researcher dude had a good crystal he wouldn't have to test people's reactions, he'd know from the crystal.

Huh ?

• Members
LOL!

It's like pseudoscience without the science.

I subscribe to the axiomatic truism that...

There are two kinds of people in this world: people who think there are two kinds of people in this world -- and those who don't.

Haha!

Seriously; one junction? I'm a musician not a casual listener. Can't say I liked any of that stuff either although Nora Jones stood out; probably because I like that one hit she did.

I'm basically with these two posts. This seemed like something you would read in Psychology Today Magazine, this sort of pop psychology that is really dumbed down. And maybe that might be too kind. Maybe it's something you would read in one of those magazines that are by the check-out line in a grocery store.

Also, I'm not totally into the music played here, although I like Jack White and the Norah Jones thing was kinda pretty. I like really beautiful, emotional stuff. I like math rock. I like really loud, obnoxious stuff. I like weird stuff. I like abrasive stuff. I like funk and groove stuff and reggae and tons of world music. If I were in that video, the guy would just toss his hands in the air and walk off. :D

• Members

Haha!

I'm basically with these two posts. This seemed like something you would read in Psychology Today Magazine, this sort of pop psychology that is really dumbed down. And maybe that might be too kind. Maybe it's something you would read in one of those magazines that are by the check-out line in a grocery store.

Also, I'm not totally into the music played here, although I like Jack White and the Norah Jones thing was kinda pretty. I like really beautiful, emotional stuff. I like math rock. I like really loud, obnoxious stuff. I like weird stuff. I like abrasive stuff. I like funk and groove stuff and reggae and tons of world music. If I were in that video, the guy would just toss his hands in the air and walk off. :D

Right!

I listen to an enormous breadth of music from classical to bluegrass to jazz to doo wop to outsider art noise.

Yet that stuff left me pretty cold.

I wonder what that sez about me? ;)

• Members

So I watched the video. At the end how he says some people have both elements. Well duh, that pretty much invalidates the rest of it!. So the basic point is...if you're really, really narrow in your outlook, you might like one kind of music. But I have to wonder how many people have that narrow an outlook.

I my own subjective experiments, the kind of music I listen to depends on how I feel that day. And I might listen to something to change how I feel.

My conclusion: It was a slow news day, the lady had significant breasts, and nothing was said that would offend any advertiser.

• Moderators

Mindless pseudoscience crap in the video but...

I have found that when I'm actively writing, recording, live mixing, and performing music I tend to analyze everything I hear. By that I mean if a song comes on the car radio I'm immediately thinking things about song structure, choice of chords, harmonies, instrumentation decisions, choice of percussion samples, mix decisions, etc. In fact I can't turn that thinking off and I can't NOT pay attention to the song playing whether it's music I enjoy or not. I'm compelled to analyze.

In contrast, now that I've taken a complete two year break from all the above music making and become just a listener again, I've rediscovered an emotional appreciation for music without constantly analyzing it. It's actually quite wonderful to just hear music and feel it just as I did in my adolescent teenage years.

My two year break from all things musical has ended this week. My longtime keyboardist friend and I are assembling the crew and embarking on a new project this week. I guess I'll see if this happens again. :)

Terry D.

• Members

I think it's bullcrap too. But what MrKnobs said about musicians analyzing music rather than just appreciating it (if I have summarized what he said accurately) has the ring of truth. I'm not a working musician but when I listen to music in a period of intense practicing I am always conscious of the lines played by the individual instruments. I tend to pick one out and follow it for a time, while still being conscious of the other instruments. When I'm not actively doing music I can listen to the "gestalt" of a song, the way I assume most people do.

Archived