Cheap one button MIDI pedal?

• Members

Hey, anyone seen a < $50 one button MIDI pedal that can be programmed to mute and unmute the FX on a MIDI controllable mixer? In my case it's presently a Behringer XR12 but this would be great for anyone running their own sound while playing. If not, maybe there's an easy solution using an Arduino? This might be good for DAW punch-ins too?

Hey' date=' anyone seen a < $50 one button MIDI pedal that can be programmed to mute and unmute the FX on a MIDI controllable mixer? In my case it's presently a Behringer XR12 but this would be great for anyone running their own sound while playing. [b']If not, maybe there's an easy solution using an Arduino? [/b]This might be good for DAW punch-ins too?

I had no idea what that was, so I did a Google search... https://www.arduino.cc/

Very interesting!

I wish I had a suggestion for you on the inexpensive MIDI mute, but I don't know of anything that comes in at that price point and has what you're looking for.

• CMS Author

I recall an article in an old magazine, maybe Device or Polyphony, maybe even a Craig Anderton design, for a built-it-yourself MIDI controller like what you're looking for. It was a pretty deep construction job and included code to load on to an EPROM, but that was back in the day when people used to build stuff that they needed, even pretty complicated stuff.

I probably still have the magazine. I'll look for it after I finish up my tax returns.

I'm surprised that there isn't a pedal that does this, but it's probalby not a single-function device and costs more than you'd want to spend. I have a gadget around here, an Alesis MPX (MIDI Patch transmitter) that sends MIDI program change messages. It's pretty neat, from back in the days when Alesis owned their own semiconductor factory and incorporates a custom RISC processor, but it involves too many button presses for doing what you want to do as quickly as you'd want to do it. Analog mixers have their benefits. ;)

You might want to look at this...

http://www.string6.co.il/Uploads/files/DMC-2plus%20Quick%20Start.pdf

I didn't dive into it enough to see if it will do what you want but it looks interesting.

There's also a bunch of similar cool little boxes from Molten Voltage... http://www.moltenvoltage.com/products.html

And then there's always the MIDI Solutions boxes... http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm

...but I don't think any of those will do exactly what he's after. Maybe they'll be useful for someone else. :idk:

• Members

I programmed and used a Yamaha MFC-10 to control the effects, among other things, on a Fender Cyber Twin. The MFC-10 is expensive and more than the OP needs but it is an example of an easy to program MIDI controller.

• Members
I've done a LOT of stuff using MIDI so I'm just curious. What type of message does the mixer need' date=' program change, controller, SYSEX?[/quote']I actually don't know - I'm assuming most MIDI pedals and such can send most anything they are programmed with? I've not yet had a need to do anything with MIDI beyond plugging stuff together LOL.

• Members
I actually don't know - I'm assuming most MIDI pedals and such can send most anything they are programmed with? I've not yet had a need to do anything with MIDI beyond plugging stuff together LOL.

Those old MOTU Midi Timepiece interfaces had extremely deep functionality and you can plug a simple foot switch into them. The unit's are road worthy tough and the old MTP II's can be found on eBay for probably $30 or less at this point but alas, in order to set them up for sending midi message(s) you need an OS9 Mac with a serial port interface.

Archived