No announcement yet.

still waiting for updates !!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still waiting for updates !!

Windows 10 is worse than ever and I find myself wasting my life away waiting for updates. I hope that I don't end up like the guy in the picture !!

Dan
    http://musicinit.com/fastfingers.php An Experiment in 80's Technology

http://youtube.com/techristian My YOUTUBE channel
    Music videos at http://musicinit.com/video.php

Makes me feel a lot better about 7 anyway. Thx!
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Windows 10 does a terrible job of scheduling updates... I've found it doing stuff a few times during the day when I've opened my 2 in 1 to try to do something. I thought I had it scheduled to do them in the middle of the night when the computer wasn't being used. And when you do open it up, it doesn't always give you a progress report about how far along it is or how long it's going to take. If I didn't have other systems to rely on, I don't think I'd want to use Win 10 exclusively - too much chance that when I need to use it RIGHT NOW, it might be otherwise preoccupied.

That's leaving out all the potential conflicts and issues I expect to arise out of their total control over upgrade installs. That just doesn't bode well for a music-related device.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Did you read Craig's Windows 10 Report Card?

http://www.harmonycentral.com/articl...for-the-studio

D
        Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
          Phil O'Keefe commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. I recommend it!

Some folks get lucky with Windows...

I am not one of them
        The Mandolin Picker

"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Comment

I've had great luck with Windows 10. There have only been two "looooooong" updates, which is a lot better than it was with Windows 7. However I am signed up with Microsoft's user feedback program, and said that I found the lack of a progress indicator problematic. I think we should know what's happening.

The performance with DAWs is snappier, multi-client MIDI is great, and the audio stack keeps improving. The way it handles apps is vastly superior to 8.1. Although any updates have potential to upset the house of cards called a computer operating system, I must say the Windows 10 upgrade was not as problematic as El Capitan. Overall, the only regret I have about upgrading to Windows 10 was not doing it sooner.

N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

I would agree that Windows 10 does a better job with my DAW. However, once I got set up, we unplugged it. Most updates that I need for Sonar or other software I can download through my Linux laptop. When I do need to put the DAW machine online I use a USB wifi connector. And it is only on long enough to do what must be done, then it is pulled.

Our laptop at church also has Windows 10, and it updates whenever it wants (although we have tried to restrict updates much like Phil has). To avoid embarrassment in the middle of a church service or production (nothing like having the computer hang during a video or power point presentation - always at the most inopportune time), we now take it 'offline' prior to any event.
            The Mandolin Picker

"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandolin Picker View Post
              I would agree that Windows 10 does a better job with my DAW. However, once I got set up, we unplugged it. Most updates that I need for Sonar or other software I can download through my Linux laptop. When I do need to put the DAW machine online I use a USB wifi connector. And it is only on long enough to do what must be done, then it is pulled.
              After years of having no outside connection whatsoever on my DAW, I switched over to a similar system on my latest PC build. I have a Wireless N USB wifi unit that I plug in and enable in Device Manager only when I need to download an update or some software I'm reviewing or whatever. The rest of the time, I leave it off, and I never use the machine for regular Internet surfing.

Our laptop at church also has Windows 10, and it updates whenever it wants (although we have tried to restrict updates much like Phil has). To avoid embarrassment in the middle of a church service or production (nothing like having the computer hang during a video or power point presentation - always at the most inopportune time), we now take it 'offline' prior to any event.
              I've been thinking about doing something similar with the 2 in 1 tablet. I will almost certainly take it entirely offline if I ever start using it for serious work. I think that's currently my best option if I get the software and setup "just so" and want to avoid the possibility of an update messing everything up. For now, I'm not too worried about it - it's more of a learning and experimental platform. I didn't want to install Windows 10 on my main DAW yet, but I did want to try it and learn about it (and see what's out there in terms of apps for Windows tablets), and the 2 in 1 tablet lets me do that relatively inexpensively and risk-free.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I have not DAW'd anything w/Windows 10. But since all my touch-screen control was lost as soon as W10 was installed on one of my hybrids, I decided to go back to 8.1.

Windows 10 is the last OS by Microsoft. After that it will be mandatory updates to Windows 10.

Think about that. I may buy a W10 computer in the distant future. But I'm closer to switching over to Mac for music than I have ever been. I find the idea of buying a product that will never be fully developed - troubling.
                Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 04-03-2016, 02:24 AM.
                He has escaped! Youtube , ​Murika , France

Comment

The updates are part 1 of the problem. What happens after the updates is another problem. Many times things that you switched OFF in settings will be turned back on and visa versa. It seems to want to go back to default settings which can be a real problem if you get an update every week. Now Microsoft is also asking me to get back in the Insider program with this new computer which would compound the problem, as MAJOR updates come every few weeks for "insiders"

Dan
                  Last edited by techristian; 04-03-2016, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne Rambert View Post
                    Windows 10 is the last OS by Microsoft. After that it will be mandatory updates to Windows 10.

Think about that. I may buy a W10 computer in the distant future. But I'm closer to switching over to Mac for music than I have ever been. I find the idea of buying a product that will never be fully developed - troubling.
                    Then don't buy a Mac either...Apple started doing free OS updates a few years ago, so now the only difference between Mac and Windows is how they market their OS. OS X will never be fully developed either; I'm sure something will come after El Capitan, and it will just go on and on and on...

If you think Mac updates aren't mandatory, try running newer browsers and such with older hardware running Snow Leopard or whatever. You could even argue that what Apple does is force hardware updates because once the software is unsupported, your only option is to get new hardware. My desktop dual Xeon will be forever frozen on Lion, and my PPC machines are doorstops. The minimum system requirement for Logic Pro X is OS X 10.9.5.

The biggest difference is with the Mac, the updates happen periodically with fanfare, as opposed to "you-never-know-when." So, you have plenty of advance warning about updating (think of NI's "don't upgrade to El Capitan yet" warnings to their customers) so you can choose to postpone an update, and/or freeze your system.

However, you can also do so with Windows. Open the Run command, type services.msc, and press enter. Open the Windows Update service and under the General tab, change the Startup Type to “disabled.” Then restart your computer. If you want to update at some point in the future, enable it.

Note that the Home version will update security patches regardless, but that’s a good thing. The above just applies to features.

N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by techristian View Post
                      What happens after the updates is another problem. Many times things that you switched OFF in settings will be turned back on and visa versa.
                      I agree this is indeed an issue. It would be helpful if Microsoft published a list of which preferences get reset, although so far for me, the only one that's been annoying is re-enabling the "HD Audio Driver" installed by my graphics card.

Comment

The latest pain that this WIN 10 caused is this. Just 2 days ago , I set the power settings, "when plugged in, PC goes to sleep after 5 hours" . I had a big video rendering job with Sony Movie Studio. Approx ETA 5 hours. I went to bed when it was almost 70% done and woke up this morning with computer off (or sleeping) Hit the power button and rendering was only 80% done. Checked the power SETTINGS. IT WAS RESET . Now POWER SETTINGS said "when plugged in, PC goes to sleep after 10 MINUTES"

I'm not the first to report this at "Windows Feedback". This is an unacceptable problem for video / audio production use.

It seems to me that this also happened with Win 8 before. Video rendering is the slowest process that I know of and if WIN 10 can't handle it, maybe an Apple is better suited for the task ?

Dan
                        Last edited by techristian; 04-07-2016, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Windows 10 Tip: Schedule Windows Update Restarts

Brian Burgess | August 14, 2015 in How-To
                          Windows 10 will automatically download updates, and if a restart is required to install them, it will select a default time. However, when Windows decides it should restart, might not be a convenient time for you.
                          So here’s a look at how to make Windows 10 restart on your schedule.

Stop Automatic Windows Update Installs in Windows 10

If you prefer to have control over what your computer is doing, you’ll want to stop Windows from automatically installing updates. To do it, go to [...]
                          -- from this short,to-the-point how-to article, focusing on scheduling update restarts:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/sche...ts-windows-10/

MORE: Long, more detailed article: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/manage-...te-windows-10/
                          Last edited by blue2blue; 04-07-2016, 11:54 AM.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ther-broadcast
                            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Working...
                            X