Frank Sinatra Jr has passed away

• Members

I always thought it would be tough to be a singer named Frank Sinatra Jr or Hank Williams Jr.

Salvador Santana is a keyboard player and seems to have a much better chance at establishing his own identity while still being blessed with an open door into the music business.

I always thought it would be tough to be a singer named Frank Sinatra Jr or Hank Williams Jr.

Salvador Santana is a keyboard player and seems to have a much better chance at establishing his own identity while still being blessed with an open door into the music business.

Can you imagine what it must have been like for him?

Even if their first names are different, I think the same could be said for the children of other famous musicians who happen to be musicians too, at least to some degree. Imagine being Dhani Harrison, Jakob Dylan or Julian Lennon. You'd always have your parent's legacy to try to live up to, and would have to deal with constant comparisons from the public. I'm sure those folks are proud of their parents and the work they did, and I know their parent's success can help their children in terms of opportunities, funding and contacts that can benefit them in their careers, but I'm sure there are also significant challenges associated with being the child of a legend too.

• Members
Can you imagine what it must have been like for him?

I used to wonder about that when Frank Jr came on the scene.

At that time he looked like a young version of his dad but, like the others you mentioned, his dad was an exceptionally talented superstar and that would be really hard to live up to.

I think it could actually discourage someone who may know they have enough talent for their own career but wonder if they have enough to live up to the comparisons.

I wonder if he was pushed into it. I can imagine how big the big money machine behind Frank Sr must have been.

• Members

I wonder if he was pushed into it. I can imagine how big the big money machine behind Frank Sr must have been.

I don't know much about Frank Jr. I did read something where he said that people wanting him do do Frank Sr.'s music was a "big fat gift". He said he loved using Frank Sr.'s charts and performing with an orchestra. He may have never developed his own identity as an "artist". But not a bad life.

I'm kind of astounded that Jr died at 71 and Sr died at about 82. The smokes and booze that Sr must have consumed.

I'm also glad for Jr that he, in a sense, died with his boots on. He was going to be doing a concert at Daytona Beach. I'm happy for him that it all went quick. We should all be so lucky.

Archived