My prayers may be answered- California may dump daylight saving time- I'll get my hour back

• Members

I'm no fan of DST. Summers are oppressive enough in Central Texas - in daylight savings time, July through September, it can still be in the upper 90s or 100 degrees at 10pm. Just an extra hour to cool things down a bit in the evening would be nice. People stop taking evening walks or even sitting outside in the dusk. And the kids all go to school in the dark in the fall until the time changes.

Losing and gaining the hour doesn't mess with my internal clock, since my internal clock is very easily re-programmed. But I know lots of people who drag around for a couple of weeks getting used to losing the extra hour.

There doesn't seem to be any consensus on the issue whether the time changes saves or loses energy overall. Personally, I like the dark - it would be fine with me if it got dark every day at 6pm. But I know I'm in a small minority that way....

nat whilk ii

• Members

I like the extra light...keeps me out and busy...musicians in general I bet like winter time hours but for me bring on the day...more sports and activities. Baseball season best time of year. The days of summer and a 3-2 ballgame with your favorite player in the 9th with 2 outs and 2 strikes comes through with a searing line drive into the left center field gap...yeah more daylight and another game the next day...

• Members

I'm not a fan of DST either. It's a lie that lasts over half a year. As a former Arizonan, I've lived with and without DST and I prefer without.

Sure, the sleep cycle interruption is one problem; but there are others. For example, dermatologists tell patients to avoid the sun between 10 am and 2 pm; but during DST—which is now most of the year—we should actually avoid prolonged sun exposure between 11 am and 3 pm, as that's the time period we tell ourselves 10-2 is. I mentioned this to a dermatologist once, and he had never considered this. If he doesn't think about it, how many of his patients do?

Best,

Geoff

• Members
Why not just keep daylight savings all year 'round?

That would be fine too, but I'm not about to try and undo the current amendment. I'll cross my fingers and take what I can get. You wanna know another reason I HATE the time change? The time changed at 2am. Now...all my plugins rescan from scratch. And I mean ALL of them.

• Members

Here on the east coast, it gets dark around 4:45p in the winter, the sun rises after 7a so its quite dark and can get down (mentally, physically, etc… ) after a few days so I`d welcome keeping things where they are right now… the sun went down after 7p tonight. I enjoyed that.

• Members

I would not count on California nixing DST. The novelty here is that the legislator is a Democrat in a coastal district and he doesn't have a big agribusiness hookup. This stuff usually comes from the Central Valley, I'm thinking.

When I lived on the clock I definitely prefered DST. I love long evenings -- but not getting up before dawn. The less darkness I see at the beginning of the day, the better. But now I set my own hours for work and play. I don't have a TV so no schedule there. So it's pretty much neutral to me.

But the science I'm familiar with on the issue seems to suggest that the overall societal tradeoff still favors DST. (Not even counting Little League.)

• Members

IMO the switch to DST and back should have gone out when the light bulb was invented. It really messes with my sleep cycle. I thought it was Monday all day today, so I've got to do Monday again tomorrow. That's too many Mondays in one week. I guess my inner clock set me a day forward instead of an hour. I probably shouldn't have watched Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man on Svengoolie for the 200th time, and maybe shouldn't have eaten that burrito and had so much Coca-Cola so late.

Archived