George Martin RIP

• Members

That's a huge loss to the music world. One of the best, most innovative, creative, talented producers.

The Beatles....I like them. I don't love them the way many on this forum do. But one cannot overlook their achievements, or Sir George Martin. They are towering achievements that continue to strongly influence so many recording artists of today.

• Members
Paul McCartney's comments about SGM's passing...

http://www.paulmccartney.com/news-blogs/news/paul-mccartney-on-george-martin

Wow, what a touching tribute by Macca...I recently learned that George went on to produce many of the band America's songs when I was learning the chords to Sister Golden Hair. I did not know it but it does not surprise me...after all he had other work to do besides the Beatles...I/we are getting older...many greats are passing...don't know how many Saturns I have left. This is when I get melancholy and think of my own mortality...

Wow, what a touching tribute by Macca...I recently learned that George went on to produce many of the band America's songs when I was learning the chords to Sister Golden Hair. I did not know it but it does not surprise me...after all he had other work to do besides the Beatles...I/we are getting older...many greats are passing...don't know how many Saturns I have left. This is when I get melancholy and think of my own mortality...

Yeah, he worked with a lot of people besides the Beatles, but their achievements are such that it kind of overshadows the other stuff to a degree. I was a big fan of America in the '70s, and you can definitely hear SGM's work on their records - particularly in the vocal harmonies.

Are you familiar with Jeff Beck? Both Wired and Blow By Blow were also produced by George Martin.

• Members

Yeah, he worked with a lot of people besides the Beatles, but their achievements are such that it kind of overshadows the other stuff to a degree. I was a big fan of America in the '70s, and you can definitely hear SGM's work on their records - particularly in the vocal harmonies.

Are you familiar with Jeff Beck? Both Wired and Blow By Blow were also produced by George Martin.

Sure I am...IDK that but I will revisit JB...Thanks

• Members

Wow, Paul's tribute is gratifying to read - Paul doesn't bow with unqualified respect in the direction of very many people from all I've read.

George Martin's job at EMI when the Beatles showed up was way below what he was capable of. What luck of the draw for all concerned. If the Beatles had been put under someone like Phil Spector early on, I can't even imagine the conflicts/disasters/law suits/murders that would have likely ensued.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Awesome comments from Craig Anderton...

It's still hard to believe he treated some fledgling author dude with the same level of respect and professionalism with which he apparently treated everyone. But I guess that's what made him who he was.

• Members

George Martin was certainly one of my music heroes. I was lucky enough to meet him when I worked on a project at Air Lyndhurst shortly after it opened. It's hard to imagine what the evolution of the Beatles would have been without his input.

Best,

Geoff

Archived