More troubles for AC/DC

I've been using earplugs (Norton HiFi when they first came out) since the late '70s and have way better hearing than most musicos I know :( .

BTW these are significantly flatter that the old model, I'm really lovin' them :) :

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/er20xs.html

I use - and recommend - the Etymotic ER-20XS plugs all the time. :) Check out my review of them for my in-depth thoughts about them and the importance of using hearing protection. :wave:

I see your review mentioned the $300 HD-15's - I haven't yet read a good review of them?

I haven't tried them, so I don't know how well they work or not - only that they're supposed to be open to sounds below a certain dB threshold while clamping down on the higher SPL stuff.

The ER-20's definitely work as advertised.

• Moderators
Looks like lead vocalist Brian Johnson is having serious hearing problems. :(

Watch your levels folks, and keep using hearing protection. If you don't use any, now would be an excellent time to start! :wave:

And don't get on a plane with a cold, at least not without using nasal spray, sudafed or both. You can lose your hearing entirely from barotrauma.

Terry D.

• Members

I read about this product in a doctor's waiting room. Looks like it isn't in full production yet, but it looks really promising. It's an earbud that allows you to change the eq of the world around you with a bluetooth ap.

And get a sound level meter. Set it on A Weighted and Slow Response. Do the math on your ear filters and make sure you don't put more than 85dba into your ears.

Notes

With smart phone SPL apps, there's really no reason not to have one with you pretty much all the time. Studio Six Digital has a good one for the iPhone that's either free or just a couple of bucks...

• Members

I feel bad for the guys. Saw them a few weeks back on this tour, and paid $ for tickets compared to other comparable groups. A quote from father in law, I couldn't really hear Brian. I agree. Have you guys ever looked at their side fills? I suppose the years of abuse are catching up with him and probably the rest of the guys too. Sad to hear.

Here's an article on their setup I read while back....

http://www.fohonline.com/home/21-production-profile/13807-acdc-takes-their-rock-or-bust-tour-home-to-australia.html

• Members

Good idea if you have an Apple phone. Since iPhones are all made the same, it's easier to have an app that is close in calibration.

I have a 'droid Galaxy. And there are so many different models of droid phones that it's tough. I do have an spl app on the 'droid, and I used my spl meter to calibrate it.

But I keep the spl meter on stage all night, near my body, so as we go up and down in volume I can refer to it to see if I'm over 85dba (after my ear filters) and if I need to put in higher value ear plugs.

Your ears are your most important musical instrument. Protecting them is only good sense. I know loud sounds better, but it's also better to be able to hear the cymbals when you are 90.

I knew a drummer who played jazz standards (he's been dead about 20 years or more now). Never played very loud, used small stick and brushes, and kept buying brighter and brighter cymbals as his ears got worse. I metered him and they played at about 95db right in front of the band, so I would guess about 100 at the drum kit.

Archived